The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the water in the bubble counter evaporate? Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like mine is a little bit lower than when I filled it a couple weeks ago? If I need to add water, what's the best procedure? Is there anything I need to be aware of before I unscrew the top of the bubble counter?

(I use water per GLA's instructions not to use fluid in conjunction with their Atomic diffusers.)

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Is it evaporation or is co2 pushing the water out?

v3

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It can slowly. Just use mineral oil and you won't have to worry about evaporation
But GLA's instructions say use water only.

Is it evaporation or is co2 pushing the water out?
Dunno.

So is it okay to unscrew the top and add a little water? Obviously I would do it while the CO2 is off.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I don't know where it can evaporate to, except the tank. I am getting tired of empty bubble counters, I am going to give mineral oil a shot.

v3

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Personally I've tried mineral oil and found that it just gets pushed out easily by the co2 pressure, and gets into the check valves, effectively ruining/destroying them. So I've gone back to just tank water. For some reason the tank water just evaporates and doesn't make its way to the CVs.

·
Banned
86 Posts
this is common,

Evaporation is not a chemical reaction, its a change of state. With pressurised CO2 the moisture content of the CO2 stream is near zero so water evaporates into it!
as a vapor.

Le Chatelier's principle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chatelier's_principle

the more CO2 you run, the faster the change of state.
and the need to add water

i have to add about every 4-6 weeks.
just unscrew the top of the bubble counter, and pour some more in, i don't even turn it off. i see no need.

i use a 10 mil syringe, leave a little air gap at the top.

if you have a top gasket ring, seat that first then screw the top back on.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the details, Tipsy! Much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts