The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that all my bubble counter solution went up and disappeared... I'm guessing that's supposed to happen right? Also is it okay for my to run my CO2 for now until I get some more?

Does anyone know a good place to get it since I'm pretty sure I can't get it locally.

TIA. :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is fine to run it without solution, you just wont be able to count your bubbles.

I use plain, unscented, mineral oil whch I buy at Walgreens.

I am not familiar with your particular bubble counter so I cant answer as to how to refill it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Milwaukee MA957.

Thanks for the reply. I'll go by Walgreens tomorrow and see if I can pick some up.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
The bubble counter solution shouldn't evaporate, but if you are using water, then it does eventually evaporate.

It's fine to run your CO2 until you get more, as airborne r6 mentioned, you just won't be able to count your bubble rate.

As for refilling it, you simply unscrew the top and pour in more.

Some people use mineral oil, others water. Still, others use glycerin. They all work.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The bubble counter solution shouldn't evaporate, but if you are using water, then it does eventually evaporate.

It's fine to run your CO2 until you get more, as airborne r6 mentioned, you just won't be able to count your bubble rate.

As for refilling it, you simply unscrew the top and pour in more.

Some people use mineral oil, others water. Still, others use glycerin. They all work.
Any advantages of using glycerin vs. mineral oil? Where would you get glycerin?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Glycerin and mineral oil should both be available at any decent pharmacy, but they may have to order for you as many don't sell as much of either as they used to. I find glycerin to be thinner than mineral oil. Brands vary somewhat though.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Any advantages of using glycerin vs. mineral oil? Where would you get glycerin?
I don't think there's any real advantage; I think some people just use one or the other because they may be more readily available, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts