The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe something is wrong with my bubble counter. It evaporates by 50% weekly. I have a co2art regulator with the bubble counter attached. The CO2 hose then runs to a check valve and from there to a GLA reactor. Everything works great except the evaporation. I can't find any leaks so I'm not sure what else it could be. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I believe something is wrong with my bubble counter. It evaporates by 50% weekly. I have a co2art regulator with the bubble counter attached. The CO2 hose then runs to a check valve and from there to a GLA reactor. Everything works great except the evaporation. I can't find any leaks so I'm not sure what else it could be. Any thoughts?
I had the same problem from the same bubble counter. In my case the top wasn't completely tight. I think I put teflon tape on the threads, but honestly I can't remember. I may have even replaced it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same issue. If you run high bubble rate it evaporates rather fast. Couple of weeks for me. IMO there's not much you can do about it. I fill it in only when I need to (re)dialing flow rate, once it's set up I just let it run dry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I switched to mineral oil filled bubble counter. That being said, I have read on forum some that have done this have had an oil film on the surface of their aquariums. I've had no such problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try glycerin or mineral oil. It doesn't seem to evaporate as quickly.
I use glycerin with good results.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've read notes in diffuser and atomizer guides that say dont use mineral oils etc... Other than water. Its because they can be pushed to the diffuser membrane and stick to it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have two CO2 set up and bubble counters, and both dried up in few weeks. I ran soap test and did not find any leakage, so the CO2 stream must have evaporated the fluid away. I no longer rely on the bubble counter as I use in tank CO2 reactors that can double as bubble counter that will never dry up.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
I did the same as @Tiger15 and @geekindenial. Once it evaporated I kinda made a mental check of how it looks in the tank. If something is off I make sure the flow is still good in the tank and then if I feel something is still off co2 wise, I will refill. Though I can't really count the bubbles anyway so I kinda stopped even doing that. Honestly I now just keep the co2 flow to the point where there aren't a bunch of co2 bubbles accumulating in the surface of the tank water at all. I am pretty sure this is much less than the max I can pump in, but I added co2 to help the plants, not to try and grow them the biggest and fastest possible. Just got tired of things dying as I put them in the tank. lol. If I really want to know I do a pH test before the solenoid pops on and then again after a couple hours and see what the drop is there. I look for less than 1.0 drop personally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
your Co2 output have a heater to heat before going to the counter.
I think your tube too short you should have high pressure tubing and longer in length.
Maybe that is the problem.
or the gas is too hot entering the bubble counter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts