The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
!Bienvenidos!

That is really cool. We have some bryozoans that are pretty common in the lakes around here, but they grow as low, encrusting colonies. I have never seen a freshwater bryozoan shaped like that. How big do you think they were?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never seen a freshwater bryozoan shaped like that. How big do you think they were?
Gracias!

This seems to be a Plumatella repens (but I'm not sure) and each zooid is just 1-2mm long. There is also a little Hydra in the center of the third photo if it helps to get the size.

I hope I can get a macro lens to take a better photo of a single zooid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must have gotten those shots with pretty good magnification.

Where in Mexico are you?
The photo was taken with a 15 MP camera but I cropped it to get a closer look of them :).

I live in Texcoco, which is pretty close to Mexico City but I don't know where those little animals came from. I bought some wood, plants and black soil in Xochimilco, so maybe there were some statoblasts in any of those and they grew in my aquarium.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nice

Man, I'm jealous. My goal has always been to get as much biodiversity as I possibly can in one tank. Those looks awesome! I bet this is a well established tank. Do they feed on plankton?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What cool photos!

And welcome to TPT! :)
Thanks Laura

Man, I'm jealous. My goal has always been to get as much biodiversity as I possibly can in one tank. Those looks awesome! I bet this is a well established tank
I think I am very lucky to have them. Some time ago I read about them an I always thought that it would be awesome to have them in my own aquarium. Now that I can see them moving and growing I can say that it is a marvellous experience.

My tank is only 4 months old but I worked very hard to get it in balance since it is an "El natural" style paludarium with emerged and submerged plants, no bulbs (yes, I only use sunlight) and a lot of algae eaters :icon_bigg. I hope to take some photos of it to show you what I'm talking about.

Do they feed on plankton?
They feed on everything small enough for them: green algae, bacteria and unicellular animals. I think that because of sunlight they have enough food.

I took more photos and I've noticed that they grow very fast, compare the next photo with the second one in my first post:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts