The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
No way! General rule of thumb: if it smells strong, DON'T use it.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_tridentata

I bet you can find some manzanita branches that'll create the same effect though. Good luck!
Sage brush is not actually sage. but "Sagebrush has a strong pungent fragrance, especially when wet, which is not unlike common sage. It is, however, unrelated to common sage and has a bitter taste. It is thought that this odor serves to discourage browsing" -wiki

I am not sure on this. It says it is supposed to have an odor so I would be worried about something seeping into the tank. Although this odor may just be from the leaves and not the wood. Sorry that I can't answer your question.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I would think it would be a very soft wood that would rot quickly in the tank. Why don't you collect a bit and soak it. If it goes soft through out it surely isn't suitable. Then you can think on the dangerous issue.

Lots of wood has nasty sap when green but sap is gone when naturally dried out. My bunny would eat dry oleander leaves which when green are very poisonous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.