The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just downsized from a 55Gal to a 20Long. I know most people up size, I am a little backwards.
So in my 55 I was fighting the brush/red algae, it was on just about everything. I would like to re-use some of the driftwood pieces in the new set up. Right now they are in a 5gal bucket still soaking in the tank water.
What is the best way to clean the driftwood, how do I get the algae off/kill it so it dosen't start up again in the new set up?

·
Registered
789 Posts
For a lower cost solution you could use a hydrogen peroxide/water solution and soak it for a few days. The HP will dissipate though so you would probably want add some each day.

Or boiling water?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a lower cost solution you could use a hydrogen peroxide/water solution and soak it for a few days. The HP will dissipate though so you would probably want add some each day.

Or boiling water?
Thank you very much, question about your answer, how much peroxide would you add to a 5gallon bucket? Then I'm guessing you need to rinse the dritfwood very well before adding it back to the tank?

·
Registered
789 Posts
When I was dosing my tank with fish in it I was using 1-2 milliliters per gallon and it was killing bba. It turns red so you know it is dieing. You could use as much as you want really. You don't have to worry about getting rid of HP after as it will dissipate on its own leaving just water behind.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.