The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a bit new to this hobby and am still trying to figure everything out.

I started my planted tank maybe 5 months ago, plenty of lighting, yeast co2, lots of fish, etc. its a 20 Gallon Long

I am just noticing something, and am unsure of what to do about it.

The leaves on my banana Plant (which are huge) are turning brown.
as well as one of the leaves on another plant whose name I do not know.

I have been fertilizing with KH2PO4, putting in .7g once a week.

I would be fertilizing with KNO3 but it seems to have gotten lost in the mail..grrr.

So yea, my question is why are the leaves turning brown? I did just start to fertilize 2 weeks ago, could that be the problem? too much/too little?
I do have tons of plants, so perhaps too little.
I wonder if i have just straight up too many plants, i do have a lot, but places online said to plant heavily, and i have lots of fish, so this should be fine i would thing.

Any ideas on how I could correct this?

I have also been having problems with stag and brush algae, growing on various things. specifically my foreground plants. (hence why I started to fertilize, per reading an article I found a few weeks back)
Any thoughts are appreciated.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/JHowson/Fish%20tank/GEDC1841.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/JHowson/Fish tank/GEDC1842.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/JHowson/Fish%20tank/GEDC1843.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/JHowson/Fish%20tank/GEDC1844.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
what is your phosphate reading? If you have been dosing KH2PO4 only and missing some other essential element, your plants might be stunted and not using all the phosphates your adding. It sounds like at least one missing element in your tank(not missing but not at the ideal levels) is co2. The brush algae is usually a sign of low levels of co2, but this might just be a phosphate problem. Do you have a test kit to test for phosphates? What is your nitrate reading without dosing KNO3 since unfortunately it got lost in the mail? Are you using any other ferts, or just the KH2PO4? Any trace ferts? Are any of your other plants exhibiting any signs of distress or stunted growth, color loss, browning, etc? Also, what is your tank maintenance routine? I know you mentioned your lighting is ok, but what are you using?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a test kit for phosphates unfortunately. Have any suggestions on a cheap one to buy?

I just retook all the readings i can.
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

This is with adding approximately .14g of KH2PO4 over the course of 2 weeks.
I was starting at half the calculated dose, and then planning on walking it up the scale until I saw no more improvement.

Trace ferts are flora pride maintenance 0-0-3 to the labeled dose, it adds iron and potassium

I also have root tabs in the substrate placed there 2 months ago.

CO2?
I am running 2 ocean spray bottles, with a standard diffuser which is situated right under the filter output. the water steam pushes the bubbles all over that section of the tank giving them more time to absorb. The drop checker indicates an adequate level of co2.
Unless that is only a level for a lightly planted tank, in which case I could always add a third bottle with a secondary diffuser.

The other plants appear fine, growing extremely fast. Its just those in the picture that are browning, but the algae does seem to be on a little of everything.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update,
I got went to the pet store and bought a phosphate test kit.
The phosphate levels were at 0 ppm.

So it appears that the plants are doing what they are supposed to do and sucking up all the nutrients.

I finally got a replacement KN03 so I will start dosing with ultra low concentrations of that and the MKP, I am also rigging up another co2 reactor.

I will keep you guys updated. =)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Plant Question

Hello A...

I was led to believe I needed to use complicated lighting and high end fertilizers and CO2 systems to grow aquatic plants. Yes, those things are fine if you have deep pockets and like to keep the more demanding plants, but not necessary if you choose some the many easy to grow, low to moderate light plants. Attached is a pic of one of my potted tanks. Lighting is a single, 32 watt, T8, 6500 K bulb I paid $10.00 for at the local hardware store. Plants are just the easy ones and the ferts are mostly from the fish and a liquid, trace element source dosed once a week when I do the water change. Pretty simple and very low cost, not rocket science.

Note: No visible algae. Consider simplifying a little and the plants just may respond.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that is a ton of fish!
So if you are only going on fish waste and trace elements how are your plants getting co2? From the respiration of your fish alone? that's a ton of fish, but you also have a ton of plants. I guess you have found a good balance. =)

I am not sinking tons of money into my tank. I got about 4 years worth of the ferts for like 20 bucks, home made light hood, co2 etc.
I am mostly just having fun learning about how everything works, and of course I like the fish. reading online talking to you folks etc.

I think the issue may be that I have too many plants for too few fish. With my small 20gal tank, it is difficult to have more fish due to space constraints.
hence why i needed co2.

This is all in my effort to combat algae, first I had junk lighting, and got loads of algae, then improved the lighting and still got algae. Added co2, and the algae problem was significantly diminished for a few months, so I bought some ferts and figured I would see if they helped. I just need to find the proper balance of everything.

Maybe instead of introducing ferts, I will decrease the lighting duration from 12 to 10 hours for a while and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion on keeping it simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts