The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic below of my 25 gal planted tank. I use Flourish excel a couple of times a week and Flourish only once in a while (consistency hasn't been my strong suit). What do I need to do to stop the browning of the tops of the cyprus heleri? I'm also getting holes in the leaves of the hygro kompact (pic also attached) and the pygmy chain sword, which was spreading nicely. The leaf looks eaten but the veins of the leaf are left alone My suspects for the holes are the 2 albino bristle noses and the pond snails, both of which I find on these leave now and again. However, the hygro is a cutting from a beautiful plant in a 5 gal I have and there are plenty of pond snails there with no plant damage. And I thought the bristle nose was not a threat to plants. The only other inhabitants are 3 male guppies, two baby angels, and two GBR. The angels have only been there about two weeks and the GBR's were just put in yesterday, so they are innocent!

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Plants may have developed soft spot that the algae eater is eating.
Think API tabs would help. Cheapest at LNT.com. The Excel I'd dose 10m daily for a week and then to 5ml. Flourish dose 2ml weekly.

The anglefish will out grow your tank.

Love the set up. What are the plants?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Should I use the API tabs along with the Flourish? I know I have to keep up with the Excel. Any experience with the rest of the Seachem line? I thought of buying the Seachem kit and following that dosing. Would it be overkill to add tabs also?

Plants are Pygmy chain sword (was doing great, spreading, now looks eaten in parts), Apongeton Crispus and echinodonus Rubin sword both on the left toward the back. Behind and to the right back of the driftwood is the cyprus helferi, which did great for about a month and is now browning. There is also some java fern in the driftwood and the hygro kompact is to the right of the driftwood.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For water changes, I do about 20-25% a week. If I skip a week, I do a larger change.

Here is a description of the two different Seachem Kits:

The most popular liquid plant nutrients now available in convenient kits for lush plant growth. Fundamentals Kit includes Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Excel. Enhancer Kit includes Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus, and Flourish Potassium. 100 ml each.

I'm thinking I could use both??

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Here is a description of the two different Seachem Kits:
Fundamentals Kit includes Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Excel. Enhancer Kit includes Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus, and Flourish Potassium. 100 ml each.
I think the Fundamentals Kit would be sufficient. For many cities treat the water with phosphates. Before you buy price the items at LNT.com. Items cheap there and they have no shipment charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.