The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one and only 25 gallon planted is pretty grim. Its only been set up for a month and a bit now. Some water wisteria, java ferns, java moss, HG, swords, dwarf sag (i think), and some other tall and skinny leafed plants are in there now. Along with a few teras, and an oto. The glass, wood, and plants are a dark and dingy brown and I am constantly fighting to keep it clean(ish).

Its a dirt tank with plain potting soil, flourite cap, 65watt PC light fixture (on 8.5 hours daily), DIY co2, simple dose with Flourish Comp weekly with W/C.

Any ideas? Is this just because its a newly set up tank, or am I missing something here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just spitballing here but you JUST set it up and you used DIRT. Could this dingy brown stuff on everything be dirt settling?

I mean seriously, walk with me here... Diatoms are prolific and all over NEW aquariums becuase of the abundance of silica which is usually burned off after a few months when the aquarium starts to balance itself out. The situation is only agitated and horrifically worse for those that start a new tank and use sand as the substrate because sand contains a high amount of silica.

However, you have a dirt tank and if the tank itself isn't new than I'm assuming the silica content of your tank is low and that your dirt could be just settling.

Once again this is just an assumption. Throw a bridgesii snail in your tank and if he starts going to town on your brown film it could very well be diatoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.