The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed brown stuff on the leaves of my plants. I used my turkey baster and it blew right off as if it was dust that had settled on the leaves. This is a new tank with lots of plants. Some that I just added. I think it might be from stirring up the substrate {eco-complete} when planting the second bunch of plants. I added top off wter and it stirred up the settled dust from everything in the tank. It doesnt stick to anything. Its like it has been stirred up and has settled on everything. I can only see it on my plants though. Any ideas? Substrate dust ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
It could be diatoms but if you can just blow them off I doubt it. Mine require rub with a piece of cloth to remove. I have Floramax substrate, didn't bother to rinse it, and if I stir it up it does get a bit messy but settles in 10 minutes or so. Of course all that dust then sticks to the diatoms for double dose of fun.

If after you blow it off and it's back a week later without explanation it could be diatoms.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sounds like substrate dust, especially if it just blew right off with a rapid water current. Diatoms generally sticks to everything, plant leaves, driftwood, and especially the glass. Not to mention diatoms generally takes a magnetic glass scrubber, or a cleaning brush actually wiping it away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts