The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever gotten a brown slimy looking substance in their tank? I have done absolutely everything to get rid of this crap but it keeps coming back.My tank looked awesome for six months now this stuff is everywhere it is really gross looking.Ive even taken everything out including the plants and florite rinsed it all off and put back together.I dont have any fish in the tank just alot of cherry shrimp.50g breeder, filstar 3,pressurized co2,2x96 AH supply p.c.s also two eheim aquaballs for water movement.Someone please help,definately at wits end:icon_frow :icon_frow :icon_frow :icon_frow :help:

·
Registered
174 Posts
could you possibly get some pics? Sounds like brown algae. It is common in newer tanks until nutrients stabilize. If it appears in an established tank then you should check your Nitrate and Phosphate levels. What type of filter media are you using in your Filstar and how often are you changing/cleaning it? Also, I would drop in some otocinclus catfish "otto's". They're very good for cleaning brown algae and will not go after your shrimp. They're tiny fish so I would put in maybe 10 or 15 of them in your 50 gallon tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.