The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this brown, slimy algae in my 10g tank. I have been searching of about an hr through the threads/posts, and have found a lot of info...but unless I just missed it, mine is growing in a RCS (4 juvies) only tank, and the "cure" is dosing/overdosing with fert. The fert I have has copper in it, which I know is NOT good for shrimp. I have plant lights on the tank, and they get turned on about 9:00 pm and turned off at 6:30 am...son's "night light". Is that too much light?...not enough light?...list of plants...naja grass, cabomba, hornwart, pennywart...I had Java moss, but it got covered with this stuff, so I took it out to clean...I have yet to use the fert on the Java moss, even though it is no longer in the RCS tank...this stuff got so bad that it got onto the sponge filter, and completely coated it. I added a corner filter a week ago to build up bacteria, so I could clean the sponge filter off...there was no movement in the water because the sponge was soooo full of this slime. I cleaned as much of it off the plants yesterday, and I cleaned the sponge filter off (did not use soap on it!), and filtration is back to normal...I have my 5.5g that has all the same plants in it, and do not have this problem. I also have ramshorn snails in the 5.5g...I have little to no snails in the RCS tank...I am thinking of adding them back.

Water changes...3g water change weekly...in a 10g, that is 30 % water change...should I change the water more often? Water parameters normal for a cycled tank.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You mistergreen...that is it! I added 3 adult orange/red ramshorn snails back into the tank. I did not have a problem with algae until I removed the snails and "planted" the tank. I guess there is an advantage to having snails in the tank.

Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts