The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum, would just like to comment on these fish. I bought 7 of them recently and have to say, these guys are some of the coolest fish I have had in a long time. They swim at a 45 degree angle and school very well. They stay at the top of the water column and like to hang out in the stem plants. I have no lid on my tank so its kind of cool to have a fish that swims at the top of the tank and does not jump out randomly like hatchet fish do. After purchasing them the next day I noticed that they had a lot more color, their lower tail fin turned a nice red color, and the tips of the lower fins have a nice blue hue to them now.

I have had the beckfordi pencil fish before and they were aggressive to each other but not to the other fish. Eventually the most dominant defeated the rest to claim the tank. The brown pencils, however, are very peaceful. I would recommend these fish to anyone who likes small peaceful fish. Would love to see a big school in like a 200 gallon tank or something similiar.

Here is a link if you have never seen them before.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am a pencilfish FANATIC. That is Nannostomus eques.

Before my tank was sticken with disease, I had a school of 15 N. espei, 10 N. beckfordi, 6 N. nitidus, and 10 N. harrisoni. I lost all but 3 fish (2 N. espei and 1 N. beckfordi).

I recently picked up 6 N. anduzei and lost them all.

They are fantastic little fish that are amazingly fun to watch. They are hard to find around here. Which is why I still haven't built my stock back up.

Great fish, I'm sure you will enjoy them!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Cool looking fish! How big do they get?

Also I could not help my self and I had to check out your fish room, very nice. I hope one day I will be able to have a room like that :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They get around the 2 inch range. Thanks for the compliments. My family has had fish since before I was born lol. So the experience just comes with growing up. Fish/turtles are my dog so to speak lol. If I could get a good camera that takes good fish tank pictures, I would have more pics of all of our tanks. But oh well....

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is a beckfordi. It seems all the species I've kept have splashes of bright color in very small amounts that makes them dazzling to look at.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
I love Pencilfish too. Back as a child, I had beckfordis, and they bred so profusely, I sold the offspring to the LFS for a few pennies. More recently I had marginatus (Dwarf Pencil), but ended up with all males for some reason. They seemed to be doing good in my hard water... I'll try them again soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts