The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a Java Fern that I ordered. It looks good but I noticed some of the leaves were brown. I picked off the ones I could but left some of them because they were only half brown. The half brown ones had what looks like baby ferns growing out of the leaf. The part that is brown is above the point where the babies are growing out of. Is that normal? I attached it to a piece of drift wood and it is now in my tank. If it is not normal, is there anything I can to to help the plant? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It is completle normal. When the java fern leaves become old, it stops growing, and usually 'gives birth' to a plantlet. I think that when the plantlet is detached from the leaf, you can get ride of the leaf, because it will SLOWLY rot. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Jake, it helps alot.
When the plantlet cuts the apron strings and goes off on its own, where does it go? Does it join the rest of the leaves and continue growing in the clump? Or does it float off and take root somewhere else?
When I was pruning and cleaning the fern, before putting it in the tank, some of the plantlets fell off. I'm not sure if it is going to work but I took 3 of those and tied the tiny roots to a piece of lava rock. Do you think they will grow a new plant?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I dont know how to take care of plantlets, but I think what you have going is fine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yea Jake, it helps alot.
When the plantlet cuts the apron strings and goes off on its own, where does it go? Does it join the rest of the leaves and continue growing in the clump? Or does it float off and take root somewhere else?
When I was pruning and cleaning the fern, before putting it in the tank, some of the plantlets fell off. I'm not sure if it is going to work but I took 3 of those and tied the tiny roots to a piece of lava rock. Do you think they will grow a new plant?
When I bought my Java fern a few months ago the entire plant started dying off and it produced a crazy amount of plantlets. I let them float around until they found something to cling on to. A few ended up on rocks, but most just clung on to my substrate. They all took off individually, so I don't see why tying a few together on a rock would be an issue.

I wound up cutting almost all of the leaves off of the mother plant when it started going, but it's growing back nicely now and I have 4 or 5 little java ferns in random places around my tank.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Moody. So, basically, if my fernlets or mother fern die I have no buisness keeping plants :)
Just kidding. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts