The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a 60l high tech planted tank running for about 6 months now and over the last 2 ive slowly been noticing that there is small fuzzy algae attacking my monte carlo. ive tried dosing problem spots with excel but it ends up taking out the monte caro in the area and then immediately the next week the problem is worse in the same spot.

ive got co2 injection and dose 3 pumps of the 3 ADA ferts every day.

Green Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Petal

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm tempted to try a 3 day blackout over xmas holliday to see if it helps.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Oldie but a goodie:

1) Hand removal
2) water change, vacuuming the escaped bits.
3) clean the filter the next day, also removing the escaped bits.

4) 1-2 punch. Remember the proper dosage, and remove your filter from the system while it is going on. Just in case more algae is trapped in the filter, I suppose you could do a modified 1-2 punch on the filter media, with perhaps 50% or less of the amount of H2O2, then the lowest dose of Excel.

5) After the Excel has had a chance to partially break down in the tank (such as the next day) you could add a bottle of Nitrospira species of bacteria, just in case the nitrifying bacteria have been affected.
I don't think futzing around with the small guns is going to do the trick. It's two months strong and in your carpet/substrate. Probably saving time and headache to bring the heat now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts