The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am getting very confused about different algae types and at the risk of being a "noob" could I ask for some help with the particular issue I have - mainly brown hair like strands of algae particularly on my dwarf hairgrass and also Java moss - also what looks like diatoms on my anubias and the flower looks dirty and brown - even though my tank is a year old could diatoms have come in on the new plants? I cleaned as much of the hairgrass as I could by rubbing it off in tank water before planting. I also have a few spots of green sheet like algae on the driftwood Java moss. I recently changed from 2700k lighting over 12 hours which I understand probably caused the problem I now have 6000k lights over 9 hours. Tank is 15 gallons diy co2 and I dose interpet flora boost 15 mls weekly. I do 20% water change twice weekly. Also use API root tabs. Tested water today 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0-5 nitrates. What I would really like to know is should I remove affected leaves / trim back the worst affected plants or let the tank settle into a better lighting routine? I also seem to have a huge amount of brown "dust" if I ever disturb the driftwood and this is what seems to get trapped in the plants / algae. I am very careful not to overfeed is it possible to have wood decomposing and breaking up? It is over a year old and stopped leaching tannins long ago. Really appreciate any advice as I am pulling my hair out here thanks ! :)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would treat the tank rather than the algae. The plants can't grow without
the correct food. But read it on here instead of taking my word on it.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107303
Also sounds like there is not much current in there because the filter would
remove at least some of that "dust" if the current would bring it to the filter.
You may be able to trim off the worst of the leaves but don't remove so much
that you leave no aria of them for a plant to take in light from. But if a leaf is completely dead it won't hurt.
What type of light, T8 or T5 and how far from the substrate ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did post 4 pics but doesn't seem to work from my blackberry - I can see them under my post though :/ The filter is a fluval u2 internal - flow is good throughout the tank but the uptake of water born particles is poor you can see dirt go right past the filter pad unless it is on a direct course for the openings. I was thinking of picking up a fluval C4 hob filter next week maybe .. I will read the link now thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.