The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share my experience. Recently cut my lighting and ferts in half since my tank was fully carpeted with HC and was trying to slow its growth. Almost immediately brown algae started forming on the leaves and fixtures, not everywhere, not an all out bloom, but noticeable.

On the next water change went back to normal fert dosage, trimmed a bit, and went back to full lighting and...algae is disappearing, almost completely gone.

I suppose this might sound like "duh" to some out there, but there also seem to be just as many that are confused about algae as I can be. This worked for me, and backs up what I've read and heard about diatoms taking advantage of inadequate lighting and also giving your plants the tools they need to out compete algae.

Hope this can help someone!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Highly doubt it's "inadequate lighting" that diatoms took advantage of. It's the lack of nutrients.

I've repetitively triggered (semi-unintentionally) diatoms in my tanks in a nice range of lighting setups.
- tank with just ambient room lighting
- tank with T8 hood lights
- tank with coralife T5NO
- tank with 36W PC
- tank with 2x54W T5HO with single reflector
- tank with 4x54W T5HO ATI Powermodule (the best T5HO fixture in the market)

Guess what was the common denominator with all these tanks and all the occurences of diatoms?

Low Nitrate levels. Every single time I'm trying to find the "baseline" I need for nitrate levels, diatoms show up when I'm below the baseline.

Wipe off the diatoms, 50% water change, does Nitrates. Diatoms gone.

In your case greenseeker, your diatoms probably went away after the water change, full fert dosing and plant trimming.

I'm not sure yet if CO2 is a major factor with triggering diatoms, though.....as anytime I have CO2 issues, I get GSA and hair algae. Those two kinda just runs over diatoms

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don't doubt that my return to full ferts and nitrates were the solution, now that I really think about it. I guess the higher lighting was indirectly involved in letting my HC grow quick again and starve the algae? I don't know...but thanks for the insight. I think much of my success is battling and keeping algae at bay is due to my nitrate dosing, so you're probably right! Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I think I'm getting to that point. First time growing it, is there a point where it is so think that it will start dying from the substrate up? With my light it is growing thick and LOW, so I don't have to worry about height. Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.