The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has them? My single brown CRS just released her babies last night, so im wondering if i should get rid of her, or try to produce more brown shrimp. What should I do guys!

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
CRS as in Crystal Red Shrimp? Never seen a brown one.

Now if we are talking about Red Cherry Shrimp, chances are she will have brown babies as it's the dominant gene I believe. I have both brown, or natural, and red Cherry Shrimp. Of course they aren't mixed though.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
It's a low quality black diamond hence the brown coloration. Black diamonds are dominant over crystal reds when it comes to genes so it really depends on how strong your crystal red genes are (and also whether your low grade black diamond is a carrier or not).

If I was in the same situation, I'd just keep the female in there and cull heavily to get better shrimps over time.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
wasn't it that brown shrimp are Black and red mix?

BB=full black
Bb=brown
bb=red

Maybe its not that simple.

I've read that from a shrimp breeder here but I forgot who. I had a brown one and searched and found this information.

·
Registered
469 Posts

BB=full black
Bb=brown
bb=red

I've read that from a shrimp breeder here but I forgot who. I had a brown one and searched and found this information.
Kind of like that. But should be more complicated.
Might have more than one pair of gene control the coloration of the CRS.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts

BB=full black
Bb=brown
bb=red

I think it's more closer along the lines of:

Genotype: BB Phenotype (displayed): full black
Genotype: Bb Phenotype: full black
Genotype: bb Phenotype: red

With the above in mind, the only time that the reds would show up is when:

BbxBb = 25% dominant black, 50% heterozygous black, 25% recessive red

Bbxbb = 50% heterozygous black, 50% recessive red

bbxbb = 100% recessive red

While there could be another set of gene that contributes to it, I don't think there's ever been a study done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts