The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 2 weeks ago I "bought" a blyxa japonica online, and I today it finally arrived. It's a tiny little piece of blyxa (2x2 in), and 40% of the leaves are brown and 10% are turning brown. What do I do to make it survive and flourish? Are there any chances of survival? There is also something very strange looking, there's a "packet of leaves" that has what looks like tiny blyxa seeds folded in.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Remove all the brown leaves. Plant. Watch for any browning of the other leaves and remove those if they do get brown...and hope. :D

Good lighting, flow, CO2, etc...will help.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
They are probably flowers, or flower buds. It flowers easily, even when the leaves look dead. Blyxa japonica has a very small rhizome with very shallow, small roots. The leaves can bruise easily. If it took a couple weeks to arrive to you, I'm guessing it was sent to you from Asia somewhere?

·
Registered
457 Posts
My japonica flowers constantly. Here is a pic of one flower, unfortunately it is not a very good pic. I will say though that the root systems on mine can become massive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jrs, my blyxa had a few dead and half-dead flowers when it arrived. No it didn't come from asia, it came from Brazil. Here's a pic to help me explain, it sort of looks like peas in a pod. there are about 10 "seeds".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts