The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stuff is annoying the hell out of me. I clear out and it comes back. Things that haven't made a difference...water changes, regular cleaning, phosphate removal, cut down a little on food.

Do I have brown algae or is it something else?

The tank has been setup for about 12 months now...this problem has been around for 5 months or so. I've stopped fertilizing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like brown diatoms. Usually you get them in new set ups, but you get them in old set ups too, especially with low lighting. Test to see if you have any ammonia in the tank, which would cause it. Also bad quality substrate or rocks that leak silicates into the water could cause it too.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Otocinclus love to eat them. I would get a school of them If I were you. If you can't, I would deffo work on the lighting/ammonia level.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nerite snails eat it too. I'm dealing with this as well, and I went with the nerites because I'm only working with 20 gallons and didn't want to take up a bunch of room with a school of otto's. My 2 snails have been in the tank for a few hours and one wall is already looking a lot better. And don't worry about being over run with snails, nerites can't reproduce in fresh water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.