The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tank has been running for about a month and a half and I'm somewhat pleased with the way most plants are growing in but lately I've noticed brown algae growing all over a lot of my plants. My anubius leaves have algae all over them . At first it easily wiped off just by using my finger but no longer does so. My Moneywort even has some algae and my pygmy chain sword which was growing in well is now covered with algae and has stopped growing and started melting (this is especially annoying seeing as how this is growing like mad in my brothers little 10 gallon with no real light or supplement to speak of). I have a mixture of gravel and floramax as my substrate. I dose with api plant zone weekly after water changes, api liquid co2 every day and seachem root tabs. Temp is at 80F. My lighting situation is an aqueon 24" modular led with 2 daylight and one colormax strip (which I was running about 12 hours a day but recently scaled it back to 10) below are some pics of my specific concerns. The tank is a 54g corner, lights are about 20 in from the substrate. Any input would be of great help. Thanks guys.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any shrimp in the tank? Amanos are great for cleaning algae, or you could try syringe dosing with flourish excel. Algae is just a part of life, u can't get rid of it completely. Check out your local petco, the ones by me had some oto cats on sale for 1.99 they also are good algae cleaners.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Diatom algae. It's completely normal in new setups. Don't worry about it. One the excess silicates are consumed it will disappear. Oto cats love diatom algae btw. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just let it run its course. Dosing excel would be a waste of time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No shrimp. I did put an algea eater in there a few days ago but he's either a hide and seek champ or dead because I haven't seen him in days lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts