The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I set up a Dirt tank about 4 weeks ago and couldn't be more happy. The plants are growing like gang busters, but i used white PF sand for the cap and I'm starting to get Brown Algae on the sand. Its not really growing on anything else, well maybe a few sword plant leaves.

The tank is about 4 weeks old, a 20 gallon and I do a 50% water change once a week. I have about 2 watts per gallon light and they are on about 10 hours per day.

I use RO and a tap water mix because my tap water is like liquid rock. The tap water brings up the KH a bit. No fish yet and Everything is doing great except for this brown algae mostly only on the sand substrate. Any Ideas or thoughts are appreciated. I just don't want it to get out of hand.
Thank-you john

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sounds like it may be diatoms which many newly setup tanks go through...I got a few ottos for my tank and they chomped on it consistently...good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same problem except for it really looks like algae. Thready, stringy, webby sort of deal. Its not just on the sand bed but in between the lower parts of my dhg as well. Are all brown algae diatoms?

Would this mean trying to take diatom off prolong its presence in the tank?

Sorry for asking the questions here but it seemed relevant to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, how old is your tank?? I don't have thread brown algae, but a dust type algae. I think its because the tank is new. I'm going to cut back on the lights from 10 or 11 hours per day to 6 to 8, keep up on the water changes and get a bit more movement in the tank. we'll see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts