The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini solar over mini s with 1 bubble per 2 seconds and macro micro eod. The brown algae is everywheres lol and some green on my diffuser. What should I do??

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
689 Posts
oto cat or apple snail? I don't know how many you want to go with or how many gallons your mini actually is but both otos and apples relish in the chance to wolf down diatoms. This is all speculation though because we kind of need to see the tank to properly assess the issue. Parameters wouldn't hurt either.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oto cat or apple snail? I don't know how many you want to go with or how many gallons your mini actually is but both otos and apples relish in the chance to wolf down diatoms. This is all speculation though because we kind of need to see the tank to properly assess the issue. Parameters wouldn't hurt either.
Of course, I apologize. Its a 3.5 gallon mini s with 27w mini solar light. Light is running 8 hours a day(cut back from 10) and I dose macro and micros every other day. Temp is 78f. Nitrate <5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0. I don't know what my gh ect.. is just that tds sits around 380-410 ppm. Tank has been running around 3-4 weeks so yes it is a new tank and I did expect this to happen. I am using tap water so the silicates are indeed fueling the diatoms. I do about 50% daily to eod water change right now to keep the diatoms down i.e. syphoning the out, yet I'm sure the new supply of silicate everyday is making it worse. Pressurized co2 at 1 bubble per 2 seconds, maybe a tad more. I used a clean bottle and superge today for first time and it helped out but still a lot on diffuser but more so the filter pipes as I have no brush to clean inside. This is a pic of the tank. I have also cut back on ferts as I have taken stem plants out and have only a anubias nana petite and hair grass.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It doesn't look so, but the substrate and plants are covered unless I syphon it off which is what I did. Im sure this is something I get away from but any idea how to slow it or stop for now

·
Registered
689 Posts
3 gallons of water with a 27 watt light, you sir are a braver man than I but that doesn't change the problem at hand. I have extremely high light and when I started my tank diatoms ran rampid! If you are looking for short term I would go with apples still BUT otos can be an addition to the tank that you may want to keep because diatoms aren't the only food source these lil', unobtrusive guys are after.

A notable tid bit of wisdom though. Even though everyone usually gets diatoms with a new setup because of the silica the outbreak shouldn't be that bad. If you are dealing with a major problem with diatoms this could be something more than new tank woes, it could be foreshadowing different algae problems ahead. After all, diatoms are algae and after the silica is gone for the outter cell wall another algae spore could come up and take its place to cause another headache all together. I'm only putting this information out there because as pretty as your current set up is (great job on the scape btw) there isn't a lot of plant mass in the tank itself to absorb the nutrients. Without enough plant life, in that high of light, algae will grab ahold and just make you super mad because there aren't enough plants for the outcompete.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Decrease your light for a little while and have patience. Diatoms are a very common thing, and they are my reminder of when I am using too much light without changing something else. High light requires everything else to be in sync and with a 3-4 week old tank it wont be. That my 2 cents anyways.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol thanks guys. I know anubias are heavy rhizome feeders so I've now covered almost the entire branch with them. The light is the one that is used for ada mini s so I just bought it. I know its a lot, but it was the set. As soon as my stupid tapatalk works ill put a new picture up. I have already decreased my lighting so should I go down to say, 4-6 hours ?? I also turned the dw a little more cada corner so now I have a rectangular area between it and two glass panels. My plan is to have the dhg hide the thread and cover most of front of wood then the anubias petite as a mid-ground but I'm left with that corner... Perhaps some type of high demand stem plant?? I had some rotala wallichi but I didn't like the look of it one bit. Any suggestions? Whatever else I add should suck up more nutrients as you said right? Ive cut down the fertz to one pump each 2 times a week. co2 is 1 bubble per every 3-4 seconds.

Edit- what I just stated goes against lugnuts comment... perhaps Im reducing the fertz and co2 too much and causing the light to be highly overpowering?

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is rare that too much Co2 or Fertilizer will cause algae,almost never. Put the Co2 back up for sure. The only sign you should look for when it comes to too much Co2 is gasping fish. Your light is the gas pedal in this machine and limited Co2 and Fertz is acting like an E-brake.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is rare that too much Co2 or Fertilizer will cause algae,almost never. Put the Co2 back up for sure. The only sign you should look for when it comes to too much Co2 is gasping fish. Your light is the gas pedal in this machine and limited Co2 and Fertz is acting like an E-brake.
Alright. I'll up co2 and ferts to what I previously had it at, thanks. Also I'm seeing some bba on my hairgrass now also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.