The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My 75 gallon planted aquarium has been running for about 2 months+ and in the past few weeks, we've had a growing brown algae problem. It's growing on the glass, substrate, driftwood, and all of the plants. All of our plants are live and as for fish there are 6 juvenile discus, 4 orange lemon tetras, 10 cardinal tetras, 5 panda Cory Cats, 2 loaches (don't remember species), 1 Apistogramma Trifasciata, 2 little ghost shrimp and a few little snails. We've recently started feeding 1 cube of Beefheart and 3 cubes of Bloodworms twice a day. My guess is the excess food and waste, resulting in Phosphates, are the problem. I'm so confused about what to do. My partner and I don't want to use chemicals, and we've tried just pulling the algae out (there's a LOT and it keeps growing fast). Please help. This is supposed to be our "decorative" tank. The tank is in our living room, and we used to enjoy looking it it. Now it just makes us sad.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Diatoms are common in a new tank setup look up new tank syndrome , they will adventually go away but if you have room add some otocinlus catfish they will take care of it in no time plus they stay very small and don't add much to your bio load

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
UV light and Purigen could help a lot for this.
Low flow for UV will kill single cell anything and Purigen sucks up
the decomposing organics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.