The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had theirs bust for no apparent reason?

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess thats what happened to mine as well. It was just sitting in the tank and i noticed the bubbles were wayyyyy to big. Anyone had experience with limewood as a temporary replacement?

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
mine broke from the pressure of the gas building up inside
That should never happen!

I have the Rhinox 5000 and I use it when I am cleaning my ADA Beetle. You can feel a difference in the quality of manufacture, however I'd never expect it to "explode"! :icon_eek:

Mike

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean, look at mine, it was clearly from a pressure buildup inside. But it had only been in action for a week. I PM'd epicfish who i bought it from to see if the manufacturer he dropships from has a return policy. But i doubt one exists. It should though, this is clearly a manufacturing/engineering defect.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you got at least 3 people sayin they break, with pictures no less :/.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow, thats a real bummer! If it's any help, I got the 2000's and have not ran into that problem yet.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
The price of the ADA beetle is just laughable, however.
I am not sure about that now, Jessica. Not when we start seeing and hearing about the failures of the Rhinox.

Mike

·
Registered
941 Posts
i still think the rhinox is a better deal.

you can buy 5 of the 5000's vs. 1 of the beetle 40's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You get what you pay for.
True for the cost you can buy several more of the generic diffusors.
Chances are they will break or fail to function properly more often than an ADA. But since they are cheap, you can cycle through them easily.

I have several generic types from Asia, they do break easily. When they do, I replace them with another. At a few $ a piece, no big deal.

But I own ADA ones as well and they will go into my "show tanks". The fit and finish of the ADA ones are superior to the generic ones.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
There is manufacture defect in any product line. Quality tolerance and price are tied together at times. You gents need to make your distributor aware your's have taken a beating or others made in the future will continue to decline in quality.

Make them aware of the situation and circumstances and they may send new product without asking too much more, likely shipping if from Asia-Pacific. :)

I've experienced a couple of times calling and receiving parts for assembly's that have no actual part number. Product knowledge and operating procedure over and above the callers knowledge can be a good thing. :)

I do wonder how much pressure everyone was sending to the unit plus bubble count?

Also was CO2 turned off in the evening?

How far away is the check valve?

What Valve are you using?

Having played with bending some glass tube a couple of weekends ago I can attest. Once there is a little nick while heated during attachment of the tube, feet or even the seal around the disk, it can be catastrophic.

I chased a single crack for 1" of borosilicate glass till I created a ball of glass at the end of the tube. While cooling if pressure was too great at some point stress cracks would follow.

With some more gear and a way to cool things slowly it has to be more effective. I'll be tooling for a while but will try this again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought 2 5000's, one had the suction cup glass nipple break off on it's first removal (3 weeks in tank), the other is still going strong after ~6 months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts