The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've managed to smash my center brace by having a 8x4" T5HO light sitting on it, the heating and cooling must have been what made it smash.

Its been like this for some time but I only noticed when I installed a powerhead in my tank and could see under the light between the water from the back, there was a huge chunk missing, about 10cm wide, along the whole length of the brace, going to a point on the other edge of the brace.

Its been like this for probably about 1-2 months by my best guess, the tank has got about a 7mm bow in it. I'm sure its being held togehter by a 2nd brace that is very akin to eurobracing around the perimiter of the tank (which is what the center brace sits on) This only exists at the top of the tank.

Do I need to replace the ceter brace or could I silicone another perimiter brace ontop of the existing one for additional support? It'd look killer without a hood on, but the center brace screws it up.

Otherwise I'll replace the center brace, should I replace it with one like it has now, which is 10mm glass that covers 1/3rd of the tank in the middle, or should I split it in half and have two braces?

Should I correct the bow in the glass with a clamp (its only minor) or get the new glass cut to factor in this warping?

Under the hood, the light got very hot, which is what I suspect broke the glass, should I try and raise the light off the glass and put a fan underneath, is this sufficent cooling?

Finally, regular aquarium silicone should be enough to hold it together? If I drop the water half way before trying to reglue the glass, will the humidity still cause it not to set?

Cheers,

Duncan

·
Registered
499 Posts
In order to answer your question people are going to want to know how big your tank is. It would also help if you could post a picture of the damage. In the mean time you could try searching center brace, there are several threads dealing with various ways to repair them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

I'm in the midst of re-sealing my 240G and after lots of research on what type of silicone to use, I found that GE RTV108 is a very high quality silicone for aquariums. One forum I was reading claimed that Seaworld and other world class aquariums use RTV108 for their 20,000G + aquariums! I don't know how true that is, but the person seemed pretty knowledgeable.

I picked up 8 tubes of the RTV108 today at Granger, and industrial supply company for 9.89 a 10 oz tube.

So if your worried about regular aquarium silicone holding the new brace, I'd definitely look into the RTV-108!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its 120g, 5x2x2 with a corner drain to sump. I'll have pics up soon, I'll try and find the best silicone that I can to hold it together.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I had a 110 tall and the center brace broke. Made the repair and one year later a side seal gave out. I trashed that tank since it was at least 15 years old.
Friend had a 300g and the center brace pulled away from the back wall. Made the repair and one year later a side seal gave out. That tank went back to the manufacturer (Leemar) for a complete rebuild since it was about 5 years old with some Starphire panes.

SteveU

·
Registered
885 Posts
i would think some threaded rod, with some found/purchased or made brackets would work the best. and you would never have to worry about it snapping, and bringing that bow back to 0 would be just a turn of the wrench

1 - 6 of 6 Posts