The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for good recommendations want to spend less than 90$. I had a canister and it cracked during maint last night. The tank is a 40g breeder with NO FISH currently. It had a beta but he died when the CO2 tank ran empty and I quit running the lights and most of my plants died. Stupid me. I don't plan to add fish anytime soon its mainly a plant grow-out tank. I've had SunSun filters before and as they aren't terrible I'd like something thats less... one time use... if you know what I mean haha. They seem to break within a year or two and would rather spend twice as much for something that would last three times as long. I have a hydor for my SW tank and its great but pricey... Doesn't have to be a canister just looking for something that will work well at an affordable price. Thanks for the time guys! (also something that doesn't degas a lot of co2 and has surface skimming capabilities would be a bonus).

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've had my current SunSun 302 for four years now. I bought a Sunsun 304 for my 25g tank, but when combined with a Cerges reactor it can't hold up to the added restriction, so I'm going to use my current 302 and a second pump to overcome the backpressure. If you want the 304, you can have it for cheap - it's brand new. I cut the tubing it comes with, but you can get some from Home Depot very inexpensively.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my current SunSun 302 for four years now. I bought a Sunsun 304 for my 25g tank, but when combined with a Cerges reactor it can't hold up to the added restriction, so I'm going to use my current 302 and a second pump to overcome the backpressure. If you want the 304, you can have it for cheap - it's brand new. I cut the tubing it comes with, but you can get some from Home Depot very inexpensively.
Last time I bought new tubing from home depot and the only kind they had was so thick I couldn't get the screw on ends to go over the tubing :(. I have had plenty of sunsuns thinking of going to either an Eheim or something similar... something with a bit more build quality... Thanks though! Looking at the eheim's right now finding one that would be good for my size of tank.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
In my heavily planted 75g, the only filtration I have is a sponge filter being run by a powerhead. It provides excellent biofiltration, decent mechanical filtration , and excellent flow. Can't beat it for the price and low maintenance! I have about 40 platies in there without any issues whatsoever.

Ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts