The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd finally post up this tank now that I've (hopefully) gotten the kinks out. I decided to rescape this back in May:

But also not liking the scratches on the tank's glass, decided to buy a new tank to replace the old one. Scape was as such back in May:

I planted the HC around 5/15 and dry started it for about 3 weeks. At that time I decided against the rocks I'd collected on a hiking trip, and went w/ some bonsai rocks I'd found in the meantime. Kept the same basic idea w/ a little extra slope and replanted where I needed to. Dry started for another 5 weeks, then filled it 7/11. Unfortunately never did take a pic at that time. The tank has seen ups and downs since. Faulty needle valve issues forced me to lower the lights for a couple weeks. Mid to Late August new inline diffuser kept breaking/malfunctioning on me, so intermittent CO2/lower lights again for another week. Put my Rex reactor back on and it chugged along until last week when my bulbs were fried by a power surge. New bulbs didn't arrive til yesterday, so it was dark for about 5 days. Here it is today. Stems need a trim and I need a better photographer.

Specs as follows:
Lighting: 55 watt pc and 54 watts ODNO T8s
Filtration: Eheim 2215 w/ a 2217 impeller
CO2: Pressurized at 7-8 bps w/ inline diffuser
Substrate: 18L ADA Amazonia I
Hardscape: Bonsai stone and locally collected Madrona
Flora: HC, Blyxa, Bacopa Monnieri, Rotala Magenta, Contortion Vals, Hairgrass, Riccia and Mini Pellia
Fauna: 13 CPDs, 11 Boraras Micros, 11 Microdevario Kubotai, 2 Otos, RCS, CRS, various pond snails

I'm thinking of moving the Rotala a bit to the left, as well and the Bacopa. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice!

Could you get some photos of the CPDs and Microdevario Kubotai?
Couldn't find useful info on Microdevario Kubotai on the web.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
It's a drastic change from your first tank. I like the rocks up on the hill. I think a few stems towards the middle, but still behind the rocks would help.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice!

Could you get some photos of the CPDs and Microdevario Kubotai?
Couldn't find useful info on Microdevario Kubotai on the web.
Thanks! Look for Microrasbora Kubotai. They've recently been reclassified as Microdevarios.

Beautiful!
Thanks for the compliment!

Very nice! I like what you did on the right side but I wonder how it would look with just the rocks and no DW? The rocks have a lot of character to them. Just a thought.
I initially thought about it, but I'm keeping the DW, only b/c they balance out the stems, which I don't think would work if I went solely Iwagumi. This is my attempt at using both scape styles together.

It's a drastic change from your first tank. I like the rocks up on the hill. I think a few stems towards the middle, but still behind the rocks would help.
I agree. Will have to move some blyxa around (man, they're such a PIA to replant) in order to do so but will do when I trim. I also think I'll move the rotala magenta more towards the golden rule at the same time. Hopefully it'll redden back up now that lights and CO2 are good again.

Very nice!
Cool rocks too!
Thank you sir! And only $2 a lb! Though they move my dKh from 3-4 to 7-8 between WCs, I'm living w/ them anyway.

Nice job!
Thanks too!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Very cool! Mabey try adding a black backround???

·
Registered
342 Posts
I must say I sure love the first tank set up. The new set up is to bare. But that is just me. You have to look at it so if you like it then you did a great job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts