The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of small planted tanks with Red Cherry Shrimp colonies that are growing algae on the glass bad enough that I can't see in them well anymore. I had just started really looking at what animal would be happy to clean the glass for me and was considering getting a few ottos for each tank when some of my strange good luck kicked in. My young calico BNPs in my 90 gal had babies. So, the question now is how many BNPs would be comfortable at adult size in each of these tanks?

TANK STATS: 6+ Months old
10 Gal Wal-Mart Kit
Zoo-med 501 Sponge on HOB intake
Eco-Complete Substrate
Small local driftwood
Christmas Moss, Crypts, Java Fern
Dark Colored RCS Tank

TANK STATS: 4+ Months old
15 Gal Wal-Mart Kit (same footprint as the 10gal but 4" taller, it was on clearance for less than a 10g kit and I couldn't resist)
Zoo-med 501 Sponge on HOB intake
Eco-Complete Substrate
Mopani driftwood (heavy tannins still after months of soaking and heavy water changes, I give up)
Süßwassertang, Crypts, Tiawan Moss, E. Vesuvius
Bright Colored RCS Tank

I will qualify that there will never be other fish added to these tanks, although I may change out the type of shrimp in them at some point.
I have already moved 1 baby BNP into each tank, and I would not put more than one male in each tank (as soon as I can sex them). Would a pair be too many for these small tanks, a trio?

Voice your opinions. :)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Well, males will reach 6", females will be smaller in my experience. Not even all males get that big, my albino males tend to get bigger than my calicos; and silvertips are the smallest. You can probably keep one adult in each of those tanks, or a few juvies for a while.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think BNPs got bigger than 4-5" tops. The ones I have breeding are barely 3".

As far as waste, remember that they'd be the only fish in the tank.
If you think these tanks are too small for even one, which shrimp safe animal (and how many) do you suggest to keep algae off the glass? And don't say ME! :)

ottos, nerites, ???

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
My L144's are only about 3 to 3.5" tops, body size which doesn't include fins. I would not put a bristlenose in a tank under 20G. Your tanks look like the perfect setups for otos.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It takes years for BNP's to reach adult size. My two 4 inch males took two years to get there. I actually have 3 growing out in my 15 gallon long right now and it'll be a year before I can put them in with my cichlids in my 125 gallon. I'd say 1 in the 10 gallon and 2 in the 15 gallon and when they get big sell them.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Drop the plecos in the tank untill its clean then remove them and do a water change.
Agreed!

They do grow very slowly, and as you have the juvies now anyway - what else will you do with them? I'd drop around a dozen into each tank and let them grow up some. Those tanks look excellent for growing some BNP! Feed them some blanched veggies when the algae subsides. Once they reach around 2" they will be big enough to trade in at a LFS, or auction at a Fish Club meeting. But, until they grow up a little, what else can you do with them? (Unless you want to feed them to a large Angelfish - Oscar - or Pike Cichlid?)

As most of their poop is from algae grazing, your shrimp may still break it down further and find you'll not get that much accumulating.

Later I'd add nerite snails.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I wouldn't try feeding them to cichlids once they get bigger. Their body armour and spines may cause problems with the mouths of the predators. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with Rod Hay
Use the tanks to grow out the fry. You'll be able to keep them in there for a good while. I've had mine BNs for 6 months and they're still little and look lost in my 29g. All that algae - they'll soon clear it up for you. Just ensure to feed them once its all gone

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I've put 6 fry in each of the tanks (there's at least 4 more in my 90, probably more) to let them try clearing the algae. They're working at it very hard, but they're only 1/2" long (smaller than adult RCS) so I think it'll be a while before they make a dent in clearing the glass. Don't worry, I feed my shrimp a variety of foods and fresh veggies, so they won't be limited to starving on algae alone. They also won't be getting fed to cichlids or anything else. :p
In a few months when the weather warms up for shipping purposes I'll probably be posting these fry up for sale, there's certainly no way I can house all 16+ of them long-term.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It takes years for BNP's to reach adult size.
My 6" BN is a year old. She had a lightly stocked, heavily planted 46gal to grow out in. It had been algae-encrusted when I moved her in at 1" size. She cleaned it out in 2 days.

My only point is give them plenty of space and food and they'll grow faster. :D

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Not to take this thread OT.... but what algae do BNP eat and not eat?

SteveU

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My 6" BN is a year old. She had a lightly stocked, heavily planted 46gal to grow out in. It had been algae-encrusted when I moved her in at 1" size. She cleaned it out in 2 days.

My only point is give them plenty of space and food and they'll grow faster. :D
That's opposite to my experience. I had my 2 BNP's in a 125 gallon that was heavily planted and lightly stocked. Took me 3 years, and the one male that is left (one died mysteriously this year) is still only 4 inches. There is the problem that the "common" BNP is comprised of several different species, so some grow bigger than others and faster too.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That's opposite to my experience. I had my 2 BNP's in a 125 gallon that was heavily planted and lightly stocked. Took me 3 years, and the one male that is left (one died mysteriously this year) is still only 4 inches. There is the problem that the "common" BNP is comprised of several different species, so some grow bigger than others and faster too.
I think that your point about genetics playing a huge role in determining eventual size is definitely on point.

BUT- to relate it back to the OP, neither a 10 or 15gal tank is going to be big enough for an adult BNP; even one of the smaller ones that maxed out at 4" would still be much too large.

As a temporary grow-out tank I think the setup should work, though, as long as water is changed religiously for them. :icon_smil

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that your point about genetics playing a huge role in determining eventual size is definitely on point.

BUT- to relate it back to the OP, neither a 10 or 15gal tank is going to be big enough for an adult BNP; even one of the smaller ones that maxed out at 4" would still be much too large.

As a temporary grow-out tank I think the setup should work, though, as long as water is changed religiously for them. :icon_smil
I think I probably have genetics that are on the smaller side. I've had these Short-fin Calico BNPs for right at 6 months. When I got them, they were 1.25" measuring their full length with fins. Now they are almost exactly 3" full length with fins. I can assure you that they are VERY well fed ever since I received them. Fresh zucchini, kale, algae wafers, and shrimp pellets every couple days. Nothing goes hungry in my tanks from plecos to gobies to shrimp and snails.

You're right on the OP, I was really asking for input if I could keep any of the babies for their entire life in my two small tanks. The answer is resoundingly no, so I'll be selling all of them. (I may keep one female for my 90 and sell the second male that is in there, no sense in having 2 males I think)

I will definitely keep up with my water changes and keep a close eye on the tanks till the glass is cleaned up, then I'll find new homes for all these fry.

If anyone wants on the waiting list for when I'm ready to ship these fry just send me a PM. I'll probably be selling the fry cheap with a moderately high S/H fee so I hopefully don't end up having to send out 16 boxes. :icon_mrgr

1 - 18 of 18 Posts