The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought 3 BN's that I thought were going to be Calico. I have had them almost a year. Are these really Calico BN's? I have two males and a female. I rarely see the female so I don't have a picture of her.

Here is the largest male:

Here is the smaller male:

·
Registered
5 Posts
It looks like they are having a stress reaction to you being around with a camera. My males go "patchy" when I start cleaning out the filters or doing water changes. The bigger one looks like it could be a different strain of Ancistrus, but I really don't think they are Calico's... Sorry

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They look like this 24/7 regardless if I take a picture or not. I have pics when they were smaller and their light color was more white now it's yellow-reddish. I really just wanted to know, but it's okay if they aren't; even though, I brought them as calico. I have had these almost a year. The person had sent me a picture of the parents, but I can't remember what I did with it. The dad looked like a true calico and the mom looked like these that I have. I was told there is two types of calico light brown/red and then dark/with a little red(like mines). I left it at that even though I had questioned it.Here are the pics when they were small most without flash:

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's your answers as for bring blotched color I've went through 100's of bristle nose and seen more then 3/4 of them being blotch .... Personally I think it's from breeding with same blood plecos ( keeping it in the family as some people would say) ..... Most pure blood would be from the wild or f1 just my words of wisdom that I've heard in the grape vines ... Just theory on my end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must try figure out how to post pics here so I can show you what my Calico's, & Calico x Super Reds look like in comparison to yours... I've also had a look in a book of mine, Back To Nature - L-Catfishes by Ingo Seidel, he also refers to them as Tortoiseshell, but then on the same page the pic above is also a Tortoiseshell and it looks similar to yours.... Hmmm they may just be...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can honestly tell you that I have three marked just like that. One female and two males and their parents are both albino that mated in my tank. Out of that mating and what survived the tiger barbs I got three that look like your pictures and four albinos.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i would say calico some where in their background

donnievon as for yours any more albinos and browns have been crossed so much that the albinos you have could have come from a batch were one parent or grandparent was brown and the other albino

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must try figure out how to post pics here so I can show you what my Calico's, & Calico x Super Reds look like in comparison to yours... I've also had a look in a book of mine, Back To Nature - L-Catfishes by Ingo Seidel, he also refers to them as Tortoiseshell, but then on the same page the pic above is also a Tortoiseshell and it looks similar to yours.... Hmmm they may just be...
In order to upload pics you click the button that has a mountain and the sun. It is under the undo buttons. When it asks for a url it just means the direct link like from Photobucket or a picture site. I would love to see what yours look like. I plan on letting these breed with albinos unrelated to them.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
if when they breed and you sell fry just tell them the parent was a brown with calico gene. that would cover all bases

1 - 14 of 14 Posts