The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bred my albino bristlenose plecos. Both parents are very nice looking albinos. However all of the fry came out as normal bristlenose which is still very cool but I wasn't expecting this. Not one albino! How long should I wait to move the father back to the main tank? If I spawn the parents again will I get some albinos? They are feeding on fresh vegetables and once they are old enough I would like to post some for trade on the swap n shop. Is it safe to ship these guys in the mail or should I deal only in local trades? If anyone has any experience with shipping live fish, particularly plecos any info and tips would be greatly appreciated. I will also do a RAOK with a few of them!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Congrats on the spawn. Were both parents albinos? I have pairs of blue eyed albinos (L144) and they have always bred true. Interesting that you didn't get any albinos. The fry will love zucchini. Just make sure it's organic and cut out the seeds. The fry ship pretty well. There are several threads on here that have helpful info on breeding and raising fry if you do a search

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
if you had 2 albino parents and ended up with brown fry its cause the parents were a mix of brown and albino. and L144 is a white bn not an albino really i got informed there is a difference between them and the pink eye albino. i have a thread some where in here about it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I bought three baby Bristlenose Plecos off of Kijiji the girl that was selling them said they sell really fast. She sold them at $5 each.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I thought albinoism was a recessive trait and therefore it is impossible to get pigmented offspring from two albino parents.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If the entire spawn was brown, you can expect the same thing again unlesss you swap out one of the breeders. I had a male super red BN that produced all brown fry, and currently have some brown and calico fry that turned up in the growout tank from super reds that were from all red broods.
I also have a few super reds that came from 2 brown parents, along with some albino and calico fry mixed with the brown fry in each brood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts