The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Zucchini works better than cucumber (imo).
Core the seeds out of it and if you buy organically grown leave the skin on it.
If you do not blanch it then they will work on it for about 3 days before it turns to mush in the tank. Blanch it and 24hrs later it starts making a mess.
Day old raw zucchini works well for little ones here.
Algae flake (not wafers) too.

Algae Flake I purchase here.
http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/

Romaine Hearts work well for Ancistrus and Otto alike.

congrats on the spawn and good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zucchini works better that cucumber (imo).
Core the seeds out of it and if you buy organically grown leave the skin on it.
If you do not blanch it then they will work on it for about 3 days before it turns to mush in the tank. Blanch it and 24hrs later it starts making a mess.
Day old raw zucchini works well for little ones here.
Algae flake (not wafers) too.

Algae Flake I purchase here.
http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/

Romaine Hearts work well for Ancistrus and Otto alike.

congrats on the spawn and good luck

Good, a response from "the master". The waffers I have turn soft in about an hour. Can the babys eat the softened waffer?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
LMAO

Master of making a mess maybe hahaha

Most waffer's and pellets have grain fillers and other binders like starch is the main reason I buy Ed's products and I can't argue with the results I see with my fish.
AngelsPlus veggies disks are a repeat buy for me but the algae disk didn't seem popular with my critters.
I stay away from beef-heart and other meaty foods as the food I feed my angels is mainly salmon based so lots of protein to be found in the missed flake that makes it to the bottom anyway.

HTH

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the angelsplus veggie discs and algae waffers. I just ordered their earthworm sticks today!

I can see the developing embryos in the eggs. looks like a white line that goes half way around the yolk sac.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Did you pull the eggs away? Usually the parents will fan the eggs to keep them from succumbing to fungus. I have several breeding Ancistrus species and they all keep their eggs well fanned in caves until hatch time.

Good choice on the earth worm sticks. I swear they grow 2x faster and be ready to breed faster on those things! (mixed with wafers and veggies of course.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did remove the eggs. I have them in a breeders trap with a power head directed at the side of it. the eggs are swaying gently in the current. I wanted to watch them develope the first time. All the other times I plan on just letting them run free in my 55 gallon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats!

They'll feed off their yolk sacs for the first week or so. After a few weeks, you'll see them being more active and braver, but typically until then, they like to hide.

Sink some blanched/boiled zucchini and other typical pleco food. Algae wafers are great. Mine will feast on the sinking pellets that escape my goldfish too. I always keep some wood in their tank too. (I currently have a crop of 6-week-old ancistrus growing)

Get used to it :) once the parents start breeding, they'll keep it up (in my experience)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.