The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't seen any bristles growing on my pleco and I've had him/her for about a year now. Kind of worried I might have a common pleco.. here's a picture if you can tell?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd say female bristle nose, they don't get any bristles.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It's a bn female the commons usually have more of an armor and it looks like solid plants and they usually have a darker appearance with brighter and more over spots.

Female bn plecos don't get bristles. However they can stick the sides of the mouth out the part that's by there gills if they feel threatened. I've had one that did that to me when I was trying to bag n tag it for shipping.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
That's a fine female BNP you have there. If you had a common for a year it would be 8-9 inches by now.

+one.
I have seen females sprout a few bristles around their mouth's, but nothing like those that usually cover the head's of the males.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Some males are slow to develop bristles or slower than other's.
I had what I thought was a male/female long finned albino for nearly six month's before the slower developing male also began sprouting bristles.
Recenltly traded one of the males for three juveniles and hope to get a female.
Lost my old female that produced lot's of Fry when I removed a piece of wood that she refused to let go from.
Placed the wood in a bucket (no water), and noticed a stinky smell coming from the bucket a couple day's later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts