The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you buy fish from the pet store and get them home, acclimate them, and allow them to get comfy (light out for a bit). Is there a period of time where the fish are more prone to dying? The first couple days maybe?

Or in general provided good parameters and healthy fish everything should be fine from the get go?

·
Registered
55 Posts
In theory if acclimated properly and inspected for disease etc they should be OK. But yes I would say in general the first week I would keep an eye on everyone every day just to make sure they are doing OK.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
always QT your fish for at least a couple weeks but a month is better. no telling what they could be hiding that could infect your whole tank. there are all kinds of internal parasites that you cant see but can spread to other fish

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Always qt fish. If you can't then stick with the same fish store and hope they know,what they are doing. There is never any guarantee your,fish won't die. Sometimes just moving tanks can cause,deaths. Sometimes you will never know.

-Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Always acclimate new fish into qt for a month. Its not worth risking your current stock. Parasites or illness are not always apparent upon arrival into a new environment.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.