The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am currently in Taipei for a few weeks and today I decided to check out some of the shrimp stores. I went to a few stores including water box taipei, the owner there being the guy who originally named the King Kong shrimp. Or so he says, i dont know. Anyways the shrimp are so cheap compared to us prices here I cannot resist bringing a few hundred dollars worth back, and I was wondering if there were any restrictions on It? I checked the CDC website which says it has no restrictions for fish, and I guess that includes shrimp ? Will I be allowed to bring it as a carry on or will I have to stow it in luggage? Also what are the chances ill be stopped or my luggage will be checked and should I let my airline know ahead of time?

Thanks if you can provide any help!

·
Super Moderator
16,952 Posts
Carry-on luggage is limited when it comes to liquid. Even if it were okay to import aquarium critters that way, you wouldn't be able to.

Typically, you can only import aquarium critters through authorized ports of entry and with proper permits and documentation.

So, no, you wouldn't be able to do so legally. Would be best to discuss shipping with the shop owner and find out what it costs to obtain proper permits and pay for customs inspections.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Smuggling shrimp

First, the TSA rules only allow you to carry on to a plane containers with about 3 oz of liquid so you need to think that through. TSA rules apply when you board a plane to the US as well as when you board a plane from the US. Second, the governing agency is not really the CDC (who care about human disease) but the US Dept of Agriculture (which cares about plant and animal disease) and you should check with them. Start by going to their website. They are very picky but very specific. For example, one is not allowed to bring soil into the US from certain areas of the world (most areas, actually) since it may carry disease pathogens or whatever. Equally important, they seek to avoid the introduction of new invasive species. They may see freshwater shrimp as potentially invasive -- which is what you will need to find out. If you try to bring (smuggle) something in that is prohibited by Ag rules they will, at the very least, confiscate it. They make that very clear. If they catch you and think you are just stupid they will probably leave it at that. If they think you are malicious or smuggling for profit expect to be prosecuted. Most airports around the world now scan all carry on baggage and can easily detect liquid. It would be extremely imprudent to attempt to bring something like live shrimp into the US without checking with Ag.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a arrest and lost shrimp to me. Your safest bet is to pay the import tax and ship it to yourself. Much better idea than a fine that costs 100x the price of the shrimp plus some SERIOUS trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.