The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday on a whim I decided to setup my 5G fluval spec on my work desk. I wanted to do this last summer but access to water is a bit of a problem. All I have access to is a water fountain down the hall or bathroom sinks a few feet further
But then I got to thinking, how many times do I actually do WC at home anyway with my shrimp? with My neos I never looked that much because they just kept breeding so I didn't want to suck up babies. they were thriving
Now I have Cardinias. A bit more of the fussy type BTOE/OEBT. I figure ill have to test the water at work before I do anything but realistically I could bring in a 2L pop bottle of my own water easily. I mean I already bring in pop bottles of poop water for my coworkers plants, lol
Then theres the issue of the location. It will be going against an outside brick wall so its a bit cooler on that side. But at the same time the shrimp I have like it cooler so even if I pop in a heater it shouldn't bother them too much
Then feeding. If its only shrimp they aren't meant to be overly fed since they graze on algae and biofilm. easy to manage with some bacter ea... Though I would like to throw in some sort of nano fish like a chili rasbora or galaxy fish. not sure how that would work on weekends as ive never found an automatic feeder suitable for small portion feeding

a 5G should be maintainable.... What am i Missing ?
Plant Botany Leaf Nature Organism

Plant Houseplant Wood Flowerpot Flooring

·
Registered
341 Posts
Healthy fish don't need to be fed every day, so weekends should not be a problem. If you just stick with shrimp it'd probbly be simpler. More of an aquatic garden as opposed to a fish tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested the water at work, params come out ph 7.2, gh 4, kh 2....
I don't think I will be able to use water from work to do anything with shrimp. I'm really only interested in bringing my black shrimp and they aren't berried yet. I'm not near my goal. I think in the interim I will bring my betta. He will clean up any baby shrimp from the mix that was in there before so that's a plus. And I wont have to worry about weekend feedings right away because we will have shrimp to munch on. Only thing is he will run out of munchies way before the black shrimp
produce... So many obstacles. Should I worry about the weekends? Worst case scenario I could train the security guard on how to feed him
Here is Dick. My water puppy

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More details.... I contacted IT about a smart plug for my lights. I guess were not allowed having those in because they require wifi and it would fall into security issues. So I brought my old Christmas tree timer, lol
I spoke with the weekend security guard and he accepted my proposal to feed the water pup on Saturdays. Said it gives him something to look forward to. Glad I can help out, lol
My only issue now is weather 🥶 its -22c today, -26c tomorrow. Wednesday is looking warmer though. Im going to wait till then so I dont have to be lugging in water bottles and everything in bitter cold.
Now all I have to focus on is getting those BKK's to breed. I might just break out some Barry White tonight and get this ball rolling 🦐🦐🦐

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cool tank idea. I wish I had my own office at work with a tank. I think a beta should be fine. Id try to stock up on water bottles in the office too if possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool tank idea. I wish I had my own office at work with a tank. I think a beta should be fine. Id try to stock up on water bottles in the office too if possible.
I already bring some for my coworkers plants. Ill just bring some pre treated water from home. But for the Betta the fountain water should be ok. PH comes out at 7.2. I can put in an extra heater if the current one doesn't cut it for him.
Its -30 out today, the office reads 19.7 but it feels more like 10 lol. Im thinking the cooler water shrimp may need a heater in the winter. All manageable though. I am really antsy for those BKK shrimp to produce but there is still a lot of blondes and blues left in the tank that I am taking to work. So the betta is almost a crucial step to cleaning house for the new guys anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made the move yesterday. it was still bone chilling but we have yet another storm coming in Friday and I wanted him to be settles in properly. The staff love him.
I ended up having to put 2 heaters in, unfortunately they are preset 25W each and out temperature fluctuates a lot in this room. I will be getting him a more suitable adjustable heater. the one I picked has great reviews for stability and that is exactly what I need.
Im kindof starting to enjoy him being here though. He gets way more interaction in the office than in my daughters room. I guess well see how it goes with the weekend feedings

Water Plant Fish supply Pet supply Aquatic plant

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got to work this morning and the security guard left me a note saying he checked on him both days. however the filter sponge was loaded with food. I may have to rethink feeding.
It would be unreasonable for me to impose parameter or ammonia education on him. Based on pretty much everyone of my coworkers response to me talking about it was a blank stare, LOL
Maybe through all of this ill discover someone in the building with a similar hobby 🤞
My water hardness spiked from 50 to 650.... I'm trouble shooting in a separate thread, starting with my substrate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks great I’d set up an automatic feeder, you can always override it while working and let it feed on days of.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great I’d set up an automatic feeder, you can always override it while working and let it feed on days of.
Id love that but where would I find a feeder suitable for one fish? The ones I've researched all dump too much in

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could try to find one on the used market. FB Marketplace, Craigslist/Kijiji, etc.
You could try to find one on the used market. FB Marketplace, Craigslist/Kijiji, etc.
I'll be looking, but for now I am in isolation... Saw it coming so I took him home with me. Hes in the 45g along with the cories and lampeyes. Sorry for the dirty water. I guess its going to be a water quality adjustment day, lol
Plant Flower Light Natural environment Organism

1 - 20 of 22 Posts