The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a brine shrimp 101? Start to finish, min tank size, can I use aquarium salt, other equipment needed, etc. This is for fry food. I will also feed the bigger guys to my tetras, but mainly fry food. Thanks. And, yes, I have fry, again. I have a gimmicky hatchery for the brine shrimp, but I am not getting what I want. I also have fry food, so the little fellas are eating well, about 50 one week olds. Thanks.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Really easy to hatch. There are plenty of tutorial and instructions. Just use a soda bottle. When ready to harvest, turn it upside down with a light source at the bottom so they'll swim toward it.

The adults aren't that nutritious so it's not worth the time and energy to raise.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Really easy to hatch.
absolutely )

how i did it:
take soda bottle: cut top to put air line in, add water and ~1/2 tsp of salt (make sure no iodine), also add BS eggs... wait ~2 days. to catch them i am using flashlight and straw, if you want you can put few drops with live BS in coffee filter to remove salt water and after that add them to your fry tank.
start new portion every 2-3 days so you'll have enough food for your fry )

The adults aren't that nutritious so it's not worth the time and energy to raise.
same here... as a rule i am using hikari or gold pearls after BS.

good luck with fry... they are fun

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I get that the adults are not that vitamin enriched. I was mainly concerned about feeding the fry. I just didn't want to waste the adults.The tetras get other foods, and I thought that it would be fun to watch them hunt the adult brine shrimp. The fry are all healthy after 8-9 days. I guess there are about 40 or so. Just don't tell my pet shrimp that I am feeding their cousins to fish. Shhhhh.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Nauplii hatching: 2L soda bottle, or other inverted bottle/cone thing. I used sterilized gatorade bottles. They're only nutritious for the first 12-24 hours or so, past that you'll need to enrich them. I found harvesting the largest nauplii to egg/cyst ratio was helped when I let them self separate by doing two things: rinse the hatching contents (nauplii, eggs, shells, and all), then put it all in a clean container filled with fresh(not salt) water, and leave in the dark for approx 15-30 minutes. This lets the nauplii and unhatched eggs stay on the bottom, and the hatched cysts on top. Then, after straining the cysts, add a light for the nauplii to migrate to. There's your tetra food.

I think you can use aquarium salt, but I used marine salt for raising my brine to adulthood. Just stick whatever in a bucket that has an air pump (no air stone), and make sure to feed a microalgae (I like the kind by reef nutrition, but some people culture Dunaniella).

I think if you search brine shrimp, then you may find my old thread from last year about culturing brine to adulthood, give it a read maybe?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Best food for small fry is green water, even when they can take realively large food like first bites, they still benefit from fresh green water each day.

I do water changes and watch them grow, only start feeding when they are almost new born guppy size.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use a couple of v shaped beer steins. put an airstone in each....water...tablespoon of salt...1/2 tsp or less of eggs....and light (I had a doctor friend that gave me a couple x-ray light things....they are my table for hatching brine shrimp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.