The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed everytime I dose Brightly K in my tank that all the fish (currently rasbora maculatus,danio erythromicron and pygmy cories) all stop and sit in the corner of the tank for several minutes. It's almost like they're stunned.

Is this normal or is it possible that there's something wrong with my Brightly K?

My tank is a 7g nano, and water parameters are:

GH 30, KH 40, pH 6.3, NO2 0, NO3 20 and ammonia 0

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Freph, do you use it? I'm worried because I purchased it from the now closed Fishaholics in Seattle. It turns out they were not an official ADA store. It would help to know if this is typical when dosing nanos? I hope I purchased the real deal. I certainly paid for the real stuff.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I'm not sure...I dose 1 pump per day on my Mini M and 4 per day on my 20g. Never any ill effects from the fish. Do they ONLY do that when you dose or could there be any other sources of stress? I know the Brighty K has a KH booster in it to counteract some of the buffering effects of AS.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think so. They seem to fine right before I dose. I didn't introduce anything else, clean or otherwise traumatize them. I do dose one drop of step 1 at the same time. Step 1 came from the San Fran store so I don't suspect it. maybe I should try ordering a new bottle and see if there's a difference. I hate that I could be poisoning these guys :/

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
No worries. I'm curious though...have you tried not dosing Brighty K at all around your normal dosing time and monitoring the fish? How about half dosing? Also, as far as dosing Green Brighty Step 1 at the same time, I've never had any bad effects from it on either tank.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, they do it other times too. When I removed the lid this morning and adjusted the CO2 a bit, they did the same thing. When I dose, I push the pump slowly and move the jar across the tank to try to disperse it better. (the first time I dosed, a cory came up out of nowhere right into the drip and fluttered about on the tank bottom for several minutes. He survived, but I'm sure that wasn't what he was expecting... :eek: )

I'll try half dosing to see if it makes a difference. At the same time, I'm trying to revive my hc which has yellowed and browned in areas. I really should have shown more patience and waited to have my plants well established before introducing the fish. :icon_redf

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are your tank specs right now? Dosing, filtration, photoperiod, light source, CO2 amount and diffusion method...etc.
7g with Ada aquasky led, eheim canister with a pouch of purigen recently added to the biological beads, Ada new Amazonian soil, co2 injected at 1-2bps with do aqua glass diffuser. Photo period is 9 hrs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
brighty k is potassium chloride along with a few other components that I don't know much about (most likely a dechlorinator). I've used brighty k quite a lot couple years ago when I worked at AFA. they used it in every one of their tanks. None of the fish reacted that way though. next time, try adding it with dechlor and see how that turns out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
7g with Ada aquasky led, eheim canister with a pouch of purigen recently added to the biological beads, Ada new Amazonian soil, co2 injected at 1-2bps with do aqua glass diffuser. Photo period is 9 hrs.
Weird...doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. Make sure you clean out your canister of too much crud and also keep the algae in check in the tank via siphoning with tubing after manual removal. You can also just vacuum the hairgrass and vacuum the HC lightly.

I overdose brightly k and make my own, 1 pump on a 7g is a bit high since its 1 pump per 20l, but I pump 6 on a 17 which is much higher, I have shrimp on that tank and never noticed any issues. Check your ph before and after dosing
1 pump for a 7g is a little lean, actually. 20 liters = 5.28g...which makes one pump about perfect for a Mini M. I do agree with checking the params post dosing though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
brighty k is potassium chloride along with a few other components that I don't know much about (most likely a dechlorinator). I've used brighty k quite a lot couple years ago when I worked at AFA. they used it in every one of their tanks. None of the fish reacted that way though. next time, try adding it with dechlor and see how that turns out. Good luck!
Why do you think it's Potassium Chloride?

From what I read. It's either Potassium Carbonate or Potassium
Bicarbonate. Because 1 ml (1 pump) of Brighty K per 20 liter water is
3.4-4 PPM of K. That is way beyond Potassium Chloride's solubility.

Edit: hey, I miscalculated it. That is within Potassium Chloride solubility.
But this site indicates it's Potassium Carbonate.
http://www.adana.co.kr/product2.asp?seq=21 (You have to translate it)
And Potassium Carbonate is used as a source of K for planted tank in Japan.
http://aquamindlaboratory.com/products/plants/potassium_carbonate.html

Brighty K manual says it will raise pH and harm tank's inhabitants
if oversupplied. Although the OP's dosage seems right (1 pump daily).

And I think it contains some Potassium Thiosulphate (like aquavitro's
premier) since it can treat chlorine.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I'll check the parameters pre and post dosing tomorrow and see if there's a noticeable difference, but it doesn't sound like I'm over dosing or that this is a normal reaction.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

tex627, I'm confused why adding dechlor with it helps?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.