The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that they can climb out. Anything else I should know? Are they any more inclined to climb out than other snails? I have had MTS and Ramshorns before. My tank has a rim and water sits about 1-2" below it..does that help?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Fertilized females will climb out of the tank to lay their eggs. They lay their eggs above the water line and if they find a space to get out of the tank, odds are they will. You need a good fitting lid on the tank without any openings large enough for the females to get out.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Yeah they are escape artists and unknowing suicide snails.
That's the only draw back I'm mentioning on them. I like the look of the 'big yellows' but you need a really good (glass) lid. It seems stupid because I rarely forget to drop the lids when I turn the pumps on after feeding flake,,, EVERY time I did surrounded by bubbles would be a big Briggs outta the tank.

·
Registered
689 Posts
They are more inclined NOT to climb out if you leave about 3" between the water line and the top of the tank. They just need to find somewhere to lay their eggs like garfieldandfish mentioned. If you provide them with the gap they need then they not only won't climb out but will also provide you with multiple egg clutches that you can hatch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.