The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I turned my aquarium lights back on about an hour after lights out because tonight I scraped diatoms/GDA off the front glass pane and gave the tank a quick vaccuum and I wanted to have the light there to help me see things. Well the fish are used to settling down after lights out, so when I turned them back on they were all dispersed and some were drifting along the bottom as usual.

However, I noticed one of them moving around pretty oddly right at the bottom, sort of twitching a bit and then flashing on the substrate and then on some plant leaves before settling down after about 30 seconds-1 min and schooling going around pretty regularly after that.

My question is: Is that just really weird or what? Some of my fish were flashing last week but they stopped after I fed them some anti-parasite food. Maybe it's worms coming back a bit? I'm not sure what it means and why it happened right when I turned the lights on and then stopped quickly. Insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Flashing is usually caused by ammonia in the water. The fish have gill irritation and their instinct is that they need to scrape the "parasite" off, but its actually ammonia burn taking place.

I would test for ammonia and do a partial water change before treating for parasites.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Sometimes fish that have Ich or Velvet will do this. If you tested the water and your ammonia levels are nonexistent, then keep an eye out for little white bumps on the fish in question. If you do see them, treat ASAP before it spreads out into an epidemic.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've seen this behavior in my 46g with all of the fish at some point. It's pretty infrequent and they don't do it around the same time. Ammonia is non existent in my tanks and there are no parasites or sickness. It's weird. I may see them do it a couple times then not again for months. This is with an Angel, 2 Platys, and a Plakat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts