The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

June-17-17-50-gallon-aquarium-re-aquascaped900px.jpg
I recently added Java Moss changed the substrate from gravel to BDBS, replanted Java Fern in a driftwood. Pulled Egeria Densa trimmed and replanted it in new places. I'm trying to get the Fe up to bring out the red in the Flame Sword, but the directions on the API Iron test kits escapes me. My pain level is getting worse every day so lately I'm trying to find a balance with pain killers which will let me function over spaced out.

June-17-17-50-gallon-aquarium-re-aquascaped.jpg
We have grasshoppers bad again this year so planting outside is a battle. This is a raft bed floating on our Catfish & Koi pond.

June-17-17-Net-covered-Raft-bed-koi-catfish-pond-.jpg
I am learning more about fish and plants thanks to everyone here and at theplantedtank as well as backyardaquaponics. Above I've got Brussels Sprouts in a Styrofoam panel with the roots in the water.
This should use the nitrate created in the MMBF (moving bed bio-filter) plus cover the pond for algae control. My aquarium finally has a balance between fish load, feed rates, light duration and fertilizer dosing; no algae on the glass for a week, yay!

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lemon Tetras arriving today

Good morning.
Near as I can tell from USPS tracking, my Lemon Tetras and Bolivian Ram arrive today!

June-21-17-4-gallon-quarantine-tank.jpg
This is as close to a quarantine tank as I can put together today. The lamp I hope will keep the water at 74F. I'll setup a digital
thermometer.

June-21-17-more-drywall-up.jpg
We've been spending all our time and money building a new master bedroom.

June-21-17-50-gallon-comunity-aquarium.jpg
I added a tee to the air pump from our 50 gallon community aquarium as well as water. I need to look in my aquarium devices stash and find another airline valve to control the bubble rates.
I do not have a second filter for the quarantine tank.
Can I assume it will be okay to do 50% water changes daily in the quarantine tank for a couple weeks?
Sincerely,
Brian Rodgers

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lemon Tetras and Bolivian Ram arrived

Our new tropical freshwater fish have arrived!!! One Lemon Tetra was DOA, leaving seven. The Bolivian Ram is fine. They are in a makeshift quarantine tank where they'live for a week or so as we make certain they are in good health.
Plus we bought Hornwart a non-vascular submerged plant species, meaning it has no roots. It was a 1/2 pound of live plants. I bought it for the Koi pond as well as the trout pond. I had to add some to the 50 gallon community aquarium, because dang, it is beautiful. Another reason is this will match the fish load to the plant load.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Honestly without a heater, I would be very cautious with 50% WC with no heater. Don't need to stress them with temp swings. Be sure the water temp is a close match. I always keep a small aquaclear filter on one if my tanks, when new fish show up I have a cycled filter ready to go. A cheap tetra heater at Walmart will run you around 10$. I'm not a fan of them, I've had them fail after time, but for a quick temporary heater it will do the trick. Running lights for heat 24/7 may stress them, they need their rest too. Also I quarantine 1 month, with a treatment of prazi pro. Not sure if a week is enough. But better overcautious than dealing with bringing disease in.

Did you put the hornwort directly in the main tank from the bag it shipped in? Or from the quarantine to the main tank?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly without a heater, I would be very cautious with 50% WC with no heater. Don't need to stress them with temp swings. Be sure the water temp is a close match. I always keep a small aquaclear filter on one if my tanks, when new fish show up I have a cycled filter ready to go. A cheap tetra heater at Walmart will run you around 10$. I'm not a fan of them, I've had them fail after time, but for a quick temporary heater it will do the trick. Running lights for heat 24/7 may stress them, they need their rest too. Also I quarantine 1 month, with a treatment of prazi pro. Not sure if a week is enough. But better overcautious than dealing with bringing disease in.

Did you put the hornwort directly in the main tank from the bag it shipped in? Or from the quarantine to the main tank?
Awesome info. My wife is now heading to WalMart for a small heater and cheap filter. I'll add filter material from the 50 gallon community tank filter. Thank you so much for the timely suggestions:smile2:
Brian Rodgers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts