The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a good long ride with my GLA looking like a mini-collectoritis tank, I decided to tear it down and go simple -- since I'll be focusing more on my newly acquired 60P. I also ran my GLA with lily pipes, pressurized co2, and a Finnex Ray 2 for about a year. I have since moved my Cal Aqua pipes and pressurized co2 to our 60F. I've invested more money but toward my 60P. To keep this GLA going, I switched out to an AC 20, DIY co2, and bought a (less intense) Finnex FugeRay-R clip light...

Here are some random pics of the OLD setup:

The RESCAPE!

Since I've acquired an ADA 60-P for my living room, this GLA tank will sort of take the backseat. I want to try to do something simple and less complicated. I'm planning to limit it to only three species of plants. But with all things, everything is subject to change :icon_wink
So on with the formalities:

Hardware:
Tank - GLA 6g (15" x 9" x 11") - High Clarity Glass
Light - Finnex FugeRay-R Clip Light
Filter - AC 20

Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil "Africana"
Hardscape: Ohko Stone

Planned Flora:
DHG - E. Parvula
Blyxa Japonica
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana

Planned Fauna:
Scarlet Badis (x2)
Galaxy Rasboras (CPD)
Pygmy Corydoras
Otos
**Eventually I want to turn this into a shrimp tank**

Dosing:
PPS-Pro "Dry Ferts" & Glut Supplementation
CO2 - DIY

And some pictures:

I don't have time to be too nit-picky with the layout... I hope this is cool for a quick scape. Figured that I'd place the dominant stone on the right.

Now for some planting... DHG (e. parvula) in the foreground and up the center. Blyxa Japonica on each end in the back. Then the "narrow leaf" micro sword (Lilaeopsis mauritiana) in the center.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Flooded and taken the day after when the water cleared up:

Now I just need things to fill in and grow GRASSY! Like the African(a) Serengeti! :bounce:

UPDATE: 1/31/14

Changed the tank a bit to something a little more carefree... switched out a lot of plants for Mosses. I also changed out the Ohko to Yamaya. I'm going to make this a shrimp-focused tank!

Thanks for stopping by TPT'ers!

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Thanks! Yes... 'simple' is the goal. This nano was my first rimless so I can't fully neglet her! But, I'm excited to get underway on the 60P soon -- following your build and all! LOL
This already looks better than my 60P right out the gate. Trust me, I will be following your 60P journal as well. I feel like there is some unsaid 60P club haha.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good that you will be putting some stripes and spots in this tank with your livestock to match the African Serengeti theme!

hmmm... that's a good idea! Any suggestions? Lol

This already looks better than my 60P right out the gate. Trust me, I will be following your 60P journal as well. I feel like there is some unsaid 60P club haha.
Thank you! Your Dutch approach is more complex and takes time to refine (planting, trimming, replanting, etc.)...I'm sure it will develop in no time.
We should start a 60P club! Got some nice 60P owners chiming in on my 60P thread. I'll think about some logos... I already started the Sat+ Club! Oh heck... why not another! Haha

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE! It's a slow and steady growth. Looking at it everyday, it's hardly noticeable how much it has grown. But doing a side-by-side, you can really get a good comparison. I think, so far, I really like this light for this tank. It's perfect because if it were any stronger, I'd have faster growth (which equals more work down the road). I'm looking forward to not having to deal with major maintenance on this tank.

Here's the FTS:

You can see the E. Parvula rooting well in the Africana AS -- runners are being sent!

Here's where you can see the progress, in a side-by-side :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is saw some sick zebra otos last night at my LFS. Almost got a few but at 12$ per, I have to save some money. Clown Killies would be cool in here ;)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is saw some sick zebra otos last night at my LFS. Almost got a few but at 12$ per, I have to save some money. Clown Killies would be cool in here ;)
Thanks for the suggestions, Joey. I think the clown killies is a great idea. I've always wanted those. Hmm, zebra otos? Never heard of those... I'm going to Google now! :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 Months - Update

As expected... slow and steady growth. With the plant selection, the FugeRay-R has proven to be effective in growing the plants. The growth becomes even more apparent with a side-by-side shot from day 1 planted, to 2 months later (today).

I removed some of the blyxa on the right to make room for a heater. It's starting to get cold at night and didn't want the Betta to be unhappy. I also added an opaque background (used some clear contact paper, it's not really clear -- which is perfect to give it that diffused look).

I still plan on getting shrimp or something and move the Betta. She's temporary for the time-being. The 60P and 60F have been getting most of my attention. However, this little tank is still nice to have next to my desk. :)

Here are some pics... please excuse the GDA on the glass... got lazy to clean it off for the crappy cellphone pics.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's up guys... it's been a while since I've updated this thread. Some of you, those who know or follow me through my other threads, know I had a recent disaster in which basically forced me to tear down my builds for relocation.

Anyways, this GLA 6g has been my first rimless tank but has taken a backseat to my 60P/60F. So with a little thought and planning, I've decided to make this a shrimp tank... low tech, no CO2! I've failed in 2 previous attempts at shrimp, both of which I was getting a little overzealous with trying to keep shrimp in CO2 injected tanks.

So I removed most of the demanding plants and added some mosses. I also added my yamaya stones. My last major change, which I've always hated because I think they're ugly, was to add in a sponge filter. I've read they do wonders in shrimp tanks. The extra bubbles also keeps the surface from developing a protein layer. So I'm starting to like it. I'm thinking the moss will eventually grow on it and help conceal it a bit.

Oh...and I added some ember tetras to help build up the BB in preparation for shrimp. I'll move them to the 60P in a couple of weeks or so.

As for shrimp... I'm thinking PFR and CRS (maybe OEBT). We'll see.

So without further ado, here's some pics (nothing special, I know... but it's my first go at "shrimp focused").

Any critiques, comments, or suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts