The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever pulled this off? I can't seem to find much information, other than the larvae from the type I have (believe they are Macrobrachium Lamarrei) should be able to survive in fresh water and have about a 48 hour larval period.

All of my previous attempts at raising ghost shrimp have failed. This is my 2nd berried female whisker shrimp. The last one gave birth when I was out of town, and I'm pretty sure the adults either ate the larvae or they starved to death. This one has been a painstakingly slow process. It took about 40 days for the eggs to turn clear to where I could see the eyes. When I was finally sure it wouldn't be much longer, I managed to capture the other adults and remove them from the bowl. I removed three whisker shrimp and one amano. Left three olive nerites and the pregnant female.

She has been SLOWLY releasing the larvae over the past two days. I'm not sure why they're taking so long to hatch, other than maybe the temperature in the bowl is too low because it isn't heated? I can see several larvae swimming around, but she is still holding a lot of eggs. I'm trying to keep her well-fed without dirtying the water, but I don't doubt she's eating some of them. I would like to get her out of the bowl as soon as possible to maximize the survival rate.

The bowl itself is about 1.5 gallon. As previously mentioned, it is not heated. It has a Lee's undergravel filter with a very low bubble rate. I rarely (OK, practically never) do water changes. Just top off from time to time. I keep covered with a plexiglass lid and it gets 12 hours of light from an 8 watt fluorescent daylight bulb. There is a large floating clump of crypt wendtii with a hanging root system, some duckweek, xmas moss, and some thick green algae. aside from the algae, I am supplementing with Hikari First Bites, hoping the larvae will have enough food.

The female was holding around 80 eggs. I'd be happy if I could get maybe a dozen offspring to survive. As I've been staring into the bowl looking for larvae, I'm seeing all kinds of small critters. A few planaria (I'm guessing), what looks like some kind of slug, a couple of little bugs of some sort or other. Hopefully none of these are parasitic, as I have relocated the other shrimp to a few different tanks/bowls.

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it didn't turn out well. The mother took almost four days to hatch the eggs. I finally moved her to another tank with a few still unhatched. At one point, I could see at least a dozen larvae, but now I can't find more than two at a time. I'm hoping that there are more hiding in the plants.

I'm also seeing a lot more little specs swimming and crawling around the bowl now that the adult shrimp are gone. I can't tell if they're copepods, daphnia, seed shrimp, or something else, and I wonder if they have had any negative impact on the larvae?

Meanwhile, I watched one of my yellow shrimp struggling with a small clutch of eggs earlier tonight. They were trailing down below her swimmerettes and she couldn't get them reeled back in. She finally lost them on a piece of hornwort and spent the rest of the evening sulking and feeling like an appropriately lousy mother =(

I got them out with a turkey baster before the ramshorn snails could get them and put them in the back of an Azoo Palm filter. I heard the water flow can help keep them clean, but it seems more likely that the bacteria on the sponge will consume them before they can hatch.

It would be nice to actually get a few viable shrimp out of all of these friggin tanks and bowls!

· Registered
83 Posts
Its unlikely that you are still lurking around here after 5 years from your last post but in the off chance that you are, did you ever get any viable offspring? Just ran over to the pet store and saw some "Whisker Shrimp" that were berried up and looking pretty interesting that I was thinking about scooping up and giving a go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.