The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m just curious, but, what’s your guys’s opinion on Breeding your own fish/ buying from reputable breeders, buying from pet stores, or taking in fish?

I would take in fish if I had space and the species, but I don’t usually.
buying fish from reputable breeders seems to me a good 2nd option, just cause I live in a town with no specialized aquarium stores, only Petco/Petsmart, and the fish there aren’t in the right living situations.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Petco / Petsmart is the VERY bottom of my list of places to acquire fish. I am fortunate enough to have a good LFS that I trust and I purchase most of fish from them. We have occasionally purchased some odd species (like axolotls) from craigslist. I identify the species I want then acquire them instead of choosing from what is available.

·
Registered
75 Community, 33L Gourami, 10 gal shrimp for fun
70 Posts
Normally I stay away from Petsmart and Petco for the fish. Now, I have stopped and did end up buying my Pearl Danio from one because the kid I got liked the fish and took care of them(when he was on shift) and these danios had been there long enough. But luckily have two LFS I will buy from readily and often get things they have I wasn't expecting to. I am also getting ready to breed some of my own fish. Just for fun so we'll see how that goes. Will likely just sell them to these two LFS. I have spoken to them and basically they said as long as it sounds and looks good we'll give it a try. My only worry is this doesn't go well and then I have a ton of fish to get rid of. Although I've been given the green light by the other half to insulate the garage and load that up with fish tanks. Later she said she wants the other half to be a greenhouse so I think this whole thing was planned from the beginning somehow.

Having said all this and looking back. I think it would have been very cool to breed something by it self a few times and fill up my 75g and maybe make a few bucks. Use a 10g for the breeding and then grow a pair of fish you bought from the store that looked good, a male a female. and then fill up that 75g a couple times. have a BUNCH of one kind of fish. sell them off, have an awesome school for the cost of two fish costing $10 or less total. THEN, finally get a few other fish to fill out the tank? Just seems like a lot of fun and learning a lot from literally two fish. Plus I wouldn't have had to go through the trouble of cutting out pieces of this fish stand to fit 3 more tanks under the big one. coulda just had this spawning journey along time ago.

PS. I would also take a fish or 7 if I could and never buy a fish with the thought of rehoming in the future. It's gonna die in my tanks if I bring it home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yea, a couple years ago when I first got fish. I really had no clue of cycling, maintenance, size limitations, etc. and I got a lot of fish (far to many for a 10g). This year I learned about fishkeeping and got larger tanks to better suit the fish I'd had for a while. So, I'd love some of your oppinions on this matter, I'm going to re-do my 70g (and also re-do the silicone) and I would like to heavily plant and have lot's of driftwood, I am also planning on (I already have all theses fish, just not enough for proper schools yet) having
4 albino corys
4 peppered corys
3 golden dojo loaches
8 ish neon tetras
6 ish black neon tetras
1 albino bristlenose pleco
given the tank (70 gallons) being heavily planted with lots of driftwood, is there enough space for all these fish to be happy? I really want them all to be able to school properly. my filtration could either be:
2 marineland 350b bio wheel filters
1 marineland 350b and a fluval 306 canister filter

@ Aaronious
I agree, good post! I think it's be really fun to have fish that way, learn tons about a particular fish a little while at a time

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I mean it depends on what you're after. I'd try to go quality LFS first. Afterwards if it's a hard to find fish then I'd do Aquabid or on forums if I can't special order with an LFS (which shouldn't be an issue). Then breeder, followed by online stores like LiveAquaria, then Petco/Petsmart if all else fails. While there's something to be said about Petco/Petsmart being cheaper and more affordable for beginning aquarists, I'd argue that as you advance in the hobby, you're going to want more detailed information and a better community than what Petco/Smart provide.

Keep in mind that the "local" LFS can be far away as well. I drive an hour for mine currently.

If you already have the fish and want more of the same type, then by all means breed them. The fish you'll get will be younger than those you find literally anywhere except a breeder, you'll gain experience as a fishkeeper, and who doesn't love baby fish?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Even the 'best' LFS in my city - the biggest selection of fish and dry goods, that brings in really cool species from time to time - is still notorious for selling sick fish. It's become depressing to window-shop there, especially when they have these great display tanks from employees who seem to know what they're doing, but can't solve the store's problems.

I've gone back and forth on whether it's cheaper to buy from there anyway and treat the fish myself, versus ordering from a reputable online store that DOES treat their fish. In the end it's about the same cost, but I'd rather start with healthy fish and treat what might crop up later, rather than having to do a shotgun-medicine approach because I don't know everything that's wrong with them. If I knew of anyone local that bred more than shrimp or guppies, I'd buy from them first. I've never bred any fish myself, but I'd really like to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yea, a couple years ago when I first got fish. I really had no clue of cycling, maintenance, size limitations, etc. and I got a lot of fish (far to many for a 10g). This year I learned about fishkeeping and got larger tanks to better suit the fish I'd had for a while. So, I'd love some of your oppinions on this matter, I'm going to re-do my 70g (and also re-do the silicone) and I would like to heavily plant and have lot's of driftwood, I am also planning on (I already have all theses fish, just not enough for proper schools yet) having
4 albino corys
4 peppered corys
3 golden dojo loaches
8 ish neon tetras
6 ish black neon tetras
1 albino bristlenose pleco
given the tank (70 gallons) being heavily planted with lots of driftwood, is there enough space for all these fish to be happy? I really want them all to be able to school properly. my filtration could either be:
2 marineland 350b bio wheel filters
1 marineland 350b and a fluval 306 canister filter

@ Aaronious
I agree, good post! I think it's be really fun to have fish that way, learn tons about a particular fish a little while at a time
So short version, you're good with that set up as far as bio load and all that.

I have a 75g with way more than that in there. looking down the list I can cross off equivalents and I end up with probably 5 good sized angel fish, basically another BN pleco( I have a common pleco who is large and in charge) and a school of a dozen danio. And again, what I just listed are what I have after crossing out the equivalents. I know I have too many fish, but I do water changes as needed, maybe not 100% but I keep an eye on all parameters and the only one I have issues with is the Nitrates. But I have more and more plants coming(both from growth and from orders) so I hope this levels out a bit in the next few months. Side note, my angels are working on reducing their numbers... I ended up with 4 males and one female, the agression for a few days is off the charts when she's ready to go. and her poor mate is getting beat up. I set up and should have it complete by the next time she's ready, a 10 gallon get away for the spawning couple. This will also be my first attempt at raising fish, these angels. Both LFS perked up with the mention of the baby angelfish.

Sorry, I started a good ramble there. @BlanketHogg your tank will be awesome. good combo of things in there. I think a Rainbow Shark would be kinda cool in there(But that's how I ended up with too many fish, start with what you have then add accordingly as water parameters allow!). they look good against a planted envoirnment. plus they are pretty docile when it comes to other species.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would there be enough space in 70g to accomodate the sharks terratorial ness? we have sort of a local pet everything store, however, they're fish set up is almost worse than petco. i might be able to go to the other local pet store an hour away that seems like it's good for da fishies.
So short version, you're good with that set up as far as bio load and all that.

I have a 75g with way more than that in there. looking down the list I can cross off equivalents and I end up with probably 5 good sized angel fish, basically another BN pleco( I have a common pleco who is large and in charge) and a school of a dozen danio. And again, what I just listed are what I have after crossing out the equivalents. I know I have too many fish, but I do water changes as needed, maybe not 100% but I keep an eye on all parameters and the only one I have issues with is the Nitrates. But I have more and more plants coming(both from growth and from orders) so I hope this levels out a bit in the next few months. Side note, my angels are working on reducing their numbers... I ended up with 4 males and one female, the agression for a few days is off the charts when she's ready to go. and her poor mate is getting beat up. I set up and should have it complete by the next time she's ready, a 10 gallon get away for the spawning couple. This will also be my first attempt at raising fish, these angels. Both LFS perked up with the mention of the baby angelfish.

Sorry, I started a good ramble there. @BlanketHogg your tank will be awesome. good combo of things in there. I think a Rainbow Shark would be kinda cool in there(But that's how I ended up with too many fish, start with what you have then add accordingly as water parameters allow!). they look good against a planted envoirnment. plus they are pretty docile when it comes to other species.
ii was a good ramble, good luck with the angels!\

thanks everyone fot your input!
i'm gonna post some before/after [ics and i hope they'll be awesome :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
would there be enough space in 70g to accomodate the sharks terratorial ness? we have sort of a local pet everything store, however, they're fish set up is almost worse than petco. i might be able to go to the other local pet store an hour away that seems like it's good for da fishies.

ii was a good ramble, good luck with the angels!\

thanks everyone fot your input!
i'm gonna post some before/after [ics and i hope they'll be awesome :)
I should think the Shark will be fine. they like the planted tanks for the algaes, they are actually good cleaners too. Since it is the only shark, or i would recommend only one, it should be fine as far as the territories and there won't be another taking similar areas. The only thing I might think is if you provide a cave or little hiding place for you BN you may want another for the Rainbow Shark, they like to hide when they are little.

I actually have a baby albino Rainbow Shark in my 75g. But it is so timid I think it will stay tiny forever. it doesn't look like it's unhealthy, just shows up a couple times a week for like 20 minutes then goes back into hiding. I haven't seen any fish mess with it except a golden danio in the very beginning. So my suggestion would be to make sure you get a healthy one, shoot for at least 2" I'd say. If you can't and like me get a tiny 1" or less and want to grow it, I would say find a little tank you can let it get to 2-3" so it will actually explore more of the 70 gal tank instead of lurking in the corners, more elusive than a pleco.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should think the Shark will be fine. they like the planted tanks for the algaes, they are actually good cleaners too. Since it is the only shark, or i would recommend only one, it should be fine as far as the territories and there won't be another taking similar areas. The only thing I might think is if you provide a cave or little hiding place for you BN you may want another for the Rainbow Shark, they like to hide when they are little.

I actually have a baby albino Rainbow Shark in my 75g. But it is so timid I think it will stay tiny forever. it doesn't look like it's unhealthy, just shows up a couple times a week for like 20 minutes then goes back into hiding. I haven't seen any fish mess with it except a golden danio in the very beginning. So my suggestion would be to make sure you get a healthy one, shoot for at least 2" I'd say. If you can't and like me get a tiny 1" or less and want to grow it, I would say find a little tank you can let it get to 2-3" so it will actually explore more of the 70 gal tank instead of lurking in the corners, more elusive than a pleco.
:) I have a cave i made from balancing rocks ( firmly, very unlikely some one's gonna get squished) that pleco never leaves. would the rainbow shark need a tall cave?
good advice on the shark front, appreciate it. :)

Also, would this light be suitable for easy plants? https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FS...s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Beamswo,aps,287&sr=1-4

·
Registered
70 Posts
:) I have a cave i made from balancing rocks ( firmly, very unlikely some one's gonna get squished) that pleco never leaves. would the rainbow shark need a tall cave?
good advice on the shark front, appreciate it. :)
Honestly I don't know. But I have also read that they don't need them as much once they are older. At that point I would expect it can find a nice place to lay low in your plants once those are all grown in. If you can duplicate the one you already made, I'm sure that will be enough. I actually had this little guy in a couple tanks. In both if found the deepest, darkest spots and stayed there all day. So I have been trying to get little pellets and things into the areas I have seen it lurking hoping it gets bigger.

My SAEs(Siamese Algae Eaters) are getting big quick too. I love those things; they're active and clean everything in the tank and thankfully they clean leaves too cause nothing else in my tank really does. Unless there are angelfish eggs on a leaf then my pleco will get those at night for sure. They could be a decent choice as well but they are recommended in a group, though I think would be okay as a single. They seem hearty even though I had to buy 9 to get 4 to live.... This seems to be a more rare case and I think it is because I have harder water than the LFS. If you do go SAEs, make sure you actually get SAEs. there are like 4 fish that look a like but are all different. the two things to look for in SAE, their black stripe goes into their tail fin and other than that black stripe, their fins are very clear.

So I used basically this for awhile on my 75 gal. I put some dwarf sag to carpet, it never did anything. I had a few ludwigia and val that died out eventually. I put these at the sides of the tank thinking, "they are easy plants and I can fill in from there." But with that light things only survived in my 75 gallon or they died. I don't know the dimensions on a 70 gal but if it's the same height as a 75, get some nicer lights. I got a 48" Fluval 3.0 finally. Anything in this range will work all my plants are now growing. None are just surviving anymore. Some people get two of these for a tank my size but one has gotten the DS to actually carpet and nothing I have put in has melted since. So I would get some better lighting. I do have this on my 33L but that is only 14" tall and all low light plants.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I used basically this for awhile on my 75 gal. I put some dwarf sag to carpet, it never did anything. I had a few ludwigia and val that died out eventually. I put these at the sides of the tank thinking, "they are easy plants and I can fill in from there." But with that light things only survived in my 75 gallon or they died. I don't know the dimensions on a 70 gal but if it's the same height as a 75, get some nicer lights. I got a 48" Fluval 3.0 finally. Anything in this range will work all my plants are now growing. None are just surviving anymore. Some people get two of these for a tank my size but one has gotten the DS to actually carpet and nothing I have put in has melted since. So I would get some better lighting. I do have this on my 33L but that is only 14" tall and all low light plants.
Ok, my tank is 48 inches long, 14 inches depth, 24 inches high. Is your reemendation fluval 3.0?

Honestly I don't know. But I have also read that they don't need them as much once they are older. At that point I would expect it can find a nice place to lay low in your plants once those are all grown in. If you can duplicate the one you already made, I'm sure that will be enough. I actually had this little guy in a couple tanks. In both if found the deepest, darkest spots and stayed there all day. So I have been trying to get little pellets and things into the areas I have seen it lurking hoping it gets bigger.

My SAEs(Siamese Algae Eaters) are getting big quick too. I love those things; they're active and clean everything in the tank and thankfully they clean leaves too cause nothing else in my tank really does. Unless there are angelfish eggs on a leaf then my pleco will get those at night for sure. They could be a decent choice as well but they are recommended in a group, though I think would be okay as a single. They seem hearty even though I had to buy 9 to get 4 to live.... This seems to be a more rare case and I think it is because I have harder water than the LFS. If you do go SAEs, make sure you actually get SAEs. there are like 4 fish that look a like but are all different. the two things to look for in SAE, their black stripe goes into their tail fin and other than that black stripe, their fins are very clear.
I think my tank will end up too heavily stocked for the siamese algae eaters, but a rainbow shark does sound fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, my tank is 48 inches long, 14 inches depth, 24 inches high. Is your reemendation fluval 3.0?
I agree with what you said about the SAE and I really hope my Shark boldens up and gets big soon.

But yeah. look into a good light. I said my 33L is 14" deep but should have said high probably, my 75 gallon is closer to 24" tall, I don't know exaclty. So it's like your 70 gal for sure so I would spend that $150-200 at the start and make your life easier. in the Fluval 3.0 range there are I think 3 other lights that you can look at. I picked this because at the time I had gotten it to this one and one other light that i can't recall. But this one and the other had sales at the time on the sites I found them at and after a night of staying up late and researching found that the fluval has a slightly higher Wattage => PAR => more light deeper. That's all I wanted at the time. But some of these others I think do a slightly better job of having a natural light that is just stock. But mostly these lights at this level now are completely customizable and I actually am not running the 3.0 at 100%, it's at 90% right now.

So get the one with the built in storm settings. lol. Your friends and significant other will like it. No, do a little research, but I chose the Fluval 3.0 for the price(sale at the time) and the slightly better PAR rating.

just found this on a whim and I think the Finnex was the one I was looking into. They have a few Finnex 24/7 so make sure you look into what you are getting. I think there are 4 levels of the Finnex 24/7.

Also this is a little photo of the 75 gallon, this was with the Fluval 3.0 at 100% and this photo was taken when I still had 8 angels... and less plants. so this tank looks a little different now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I agree with what you said about the SAE and I really hope my Shark boldens up and gets big soon.

But yeah. look into a good light. I said my 33L is 14" deep but should have said high probably, my 75 gallon is closer to 24" tall, I don't know exaclty. So it's like your 70 gal for sure so I would spend that $150-200 at the start and make your life easier. in the Fluval 3.0 range there are I think 3 other lights that you can look at. I picked this because at the time I had gotten it to this one and one other light that i can't recall. But this one and the other had sales at the time on the sites I found them at and after a night of staying up late and researching found that the fluval has a slightly higher Wattage => PAR => more light deeper. That's all I wanted at the time. But some of these others I think do a slightly better job of having a natural light that is just stock. But mostly these lights at this level now are completely customizable and I actually am not running the 3.0 at 100%, it's at 90% right now.

So get the one with the built in storm settings. lol. Your friends and significant other will like it. No, do a little research, but I chose the Fluval 3.0 for the price(sale at the time) and the slightly better PAR rating.

View attachment 1026398

just found this on a whim and I think the Finnex was the one I was looking into. They have a few Finnex 24/7 so make sure you look into what you are getting. I think there are 4 levels of the Finnex 24/7.

Also this is a little photo of the 75 gallon, this was with the Fluval 3.0 at 100% and this photo was taken when I still had 8 angels... and less plants. so this tank looks a little different now.
View attachment 1026403
Beautiful tank!
I’ll look into the fluval and finned. I also plan on having dirt in the bottom of my tank fo the planties and also for some black worms I’d like to get in there
can you give me a list of lights you‘d recommend? I’m overwhelmed by the lighting part off this...
I’m thinking maybe one of the finnex 24/7 lights

·
Registered
70 Posts
Beautiful tank!
I’ll look into the fluval and finned. I also plan on having dirt in the bottom of my tank fo the planties and also for some black worms I’d like to get in there
can you give me a list of lights you‘d recommend? I’m overwhelmed by the lighting part off this...
I’m thinking maybe one of the finnex 24/7 lights
yeah, I will look a little, I am at work so this may not get done right away, maybe tonight. But I just did this a little over a month ago so most of the info will be pretty fresh. I'll do some digging, at least get you comparable options.

And the lights are hard cause they are not uniform. Everything else is straightforward, filters, how much can it push and how many different filter types can I fit? that's it. Substrate there is really 3 main ways then options from there. Lighting is brutal, 3 types of lighting measurements and and 5 colors, some places say that matters, others don't. But yeah, I know in my mind there were three that I was going to choose from and each had a better strong suite than the others.

so I goofed off a little between phone calls. I can look more tonight. But short version from what I see:

Fluval 3.0 - Best PAR of the automated/customizable and programmed fixtures

Finnex HLC - Best light all around for price, automation, customization of colors and PAR

Finnex Ray2.0 - Brightest light for your buck. no bells and whistles. (sounds like this is bright AF, not built for aesthetics.)

These are the charts I got

Fluval 3.0 info taken by 3rd party

What was emailed to a customer from Finnex.
the Finex AL-C is the Finnex FudgeRay, or the Finnex Ray1.0

Outside of this, the Finnex are silver and have a higher profile which likely distributes light more evenly but brings it an inch or two higher than the Fluval 3.0 which is black and right on top of the tank. Last thing, Fluval 3.0 has hands down the best warranty at 3 years. Oh, and no data to prove this but reviews point towards the Fluval 3.0 having better water resistance. So if you don't have a lid and have warm water that might be worth thinking about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so I goofed off a little between phone calls. I can look more tonight. But short version from what I see:

Fluval 3.0 - Best PAR of the automated/customizable and programmed fixtures

Finnex HLC - Best light all around for price, automation, customization of colors and PAR

Finnex Ray2.0 - Brightest light for your buck. no bells and whistles. (sounds like this is bright AF, not built for aesthetics.)

These are the charts I got

Fluval 3.0 info taken by 3rd party
View attachment 1026411

What was emailed to a customer from Finnex.
the Finex AL-C is the Finnex FudgeRay, or the Finnex Ray1.0
View attachment 1026412

Outside of this, the Finnex are silver and have a higher profile which likely distributes light more evenly but brings it an inch or two higher than the Fluval 3.0 which is black and right on top of the tank. Last thing, Fluval 3.0 has hands down the best warranty at 3 years. Oh, and no data to prove this but reviews point towards the Fluval 3.0 having better water resistance. So if you don't have a lid and have warm water that might be worth thinking about.
Yea thankyou! I’d like to hang mine a little above the tank. Sounds like fluval is the way to go. Thanks for helping me so much!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts