The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired quite a few corydoras pygmaeus from my LFS and was looking into breeding them. Do they require very specific water parameters? My tap water is ph ~7.4

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you feed them anything special? I have omega one flakes and hikari algae wafers that I crush up and feed but also got frozen and freeze-dried bloodworms.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ooo I am very interested in this thread. Please keep it updated as you go along. I love these little guys however mine have not yet spawned.
Not even once :(

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ooo I am very interested in this thread. Please keep it updated as you go along. I love these little guys however mine have not yet spawned.
Not even once :(
Have you ever done a big water change(50%) and with water temp a couple degrees cooler than the tank?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have. Many times. Just did an hour ago as well. They seem happy as usual just no spawning.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ken's premium catfish sticks.

Ken's Premium Catfish Sticks

occasional frozen blood worms and brine shrimp for treats.
I use these

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I'd drop the temp to about 72/73, keep species only and feed a varied diet.
The thing with corys are they are pretty good at finding their eggs. So you need to learn to recognize spawning behavior.
I need to scan my cory tank about 3 times a day, as I am never sure when they will be busy doing the tango, and being 2 hours late can mean only finding dots on the glass. Despite cover I have only ever found one baby that made it to quite large size in the tank. So, I harvest all eggs and dump them in the same breeding net with the fry. I couldn't possibly feed the parents more.
The little pygmies should spawn about once every 3 weeks to a month, once they are adult. Unless wild harvested anything you get from the LFS will likely still be juvenile, as breeders don't grow fish to adult size.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'd drop the temp to about 72/73, keep species only and feed a varied diet.
The thing with corys are they are pretty good at finding their eggs. So you need to learn to recognize spawning behavior.
I need to scan my cory tank about 3 times a day, as I am never sure when they will be busy doing the tango, and being 2 hours late can mean only finding dots on the glass. Despite cover I have only ever found one baby that made it to quite large size in the tank. So, I harvest all eggs and dump them in the same breeding net with the fry. I couldn't possibly feed the parents more.
The little pygmies should spawn about once every 3 weeks to a month, once they are adult. Unless wild harvested anything you get from the LFS will likely still be juvenile, as breeders don't grow fish to adult size.
Possible all but 2 (my oldest surviving members of my first attempt at pygmy) are too young yet, good point.
Also they are not species only they are in a planted community I would call lightly planted at this time as now that I use root tabs and liquid ferts is coming on but is no means a forest yet.
Those two factors probably explain why I have no baby pygmy lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts