The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Male pearl Gourami has now made 3 bubble nests. The first two he made in the center of the tank and were some how destroyed. The first might have been the bubbler but I doubt it as its still 1/2 a tank away. The second was destoyed whne the bubbler was off. But now he's making the nest in the front corner the farthest away from the bubbler atleast.

Its a 55g tank with 3 types of floaters that cover atleast 1/2 the tank. This is the second male iv had the first died about 3 months ago of unknow reasons. The first one I had about a month and he Never built a nest. I bought his and the three ladies at the same thim. I just recently [about 1-2 weeks ago] bought my three ladies there new man :icon_lol: and he's already made not one but 3 nests :icon_wink

But now Iv been seeing the females [atleast one] come and pick on the male while he's building the nest. Then when he gets sick of it he will wrap himself around her and they'll sit there like that for a while then he chases her away.

Thats his side and he lets everyone know it, including the kribs and Bushnoses.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I've had experience raising betta fries. I think the process is the same.

I'd definitely move the other fishes out. But if you can't expect only a few fries to survive. Once all the eggs are laid, move the females out too.
The father will take care of them until the fries are free swimming.. You can then move the fries out.. You can feed them infusoria, microworms, and babby brine shrimps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sometimes I've put a piece of glass or plastic under the bubble nest so that the dad can see the babies and they don't get stuck on the gravel. Any way you can make a divider for the tank? You can also try to use one of those floating breeder traps without the holes once the fry are just about free swimming, when they are still in the bubbles, you may be able to scoop them up.

Kara

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.