The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to give it a try. I just put a male and female in a ten gallon with a diy sponge air filter. Instead of glass marbles I just used a bunch of moss so that 90% of the gravel is covered at least three inches deep and a couple fake floating plants, temp is 78 degrees, soft water, blocked out 100% of the light with two big winter coats. My question now is how should I go about introducing light and what time frames should I do it in?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
be sure your female is carrying eggs.
I'm not sure about the dark? don't they go to sleep?

You can also use black tea and mix it with the water. the tannins and teanine makes the want to breed.

don't forget to remove the tetras after couple of hours.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
be sure your female is carrying eggs.
I'm not sure about the dark? don't they go to sleep?

You can also use black tea and mix it with the water. the tannins and teanine makes the want to breed.

don't forget to remove the tetras after couple of hours.
Yeah they do sleep, lights are out for now till morning. My female was swolen as if there was a loaf of bread in her belly, for the past two days I have been feeding them meat foods....brine shrimp and bloodworms for conditioning. The tank is in the window so when dawn breaks is when the magic happens.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i will take 6 neons for that.also when you change the water vacuum around the moss. you will be surprised how any eggs you will find. store them for 3-4 days in complete darkness.that is the standard tetra breeding "technique" for me.
and by the way. neons are weak fish. black neons are a way better choice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.