The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new in the hobby, working on some interesting cylinder aquariums for indoor aquaponic system similar to the window farms. In the aquariums, I am intending to have mystery snail pairs and varieties of shrimp. I am thinking of controlled breeding and wonder if it is pointless to keep mystery snails segregated with their own 'coloring'; i.e. Two blue snails in one tank, two golden snails in a tank. I'll have about 6 little aquariums set up once the plans finalize.

So far I have golden, blue and chestnut. Ivory is in the wings and I'm looking for dark footed purples and dark footed jade.

Next part of the question is about mixing and matching for varieties... Mystery snails store sperm for a month, is it?

I've looked and looked through posts - all breeding posts are pretty old.

·
Registered
651 Posts
No, it's not pointless to segregate them by color. That's how the colors were developed to begin with.

I have only bred the gold and ivory ones, and IME, they breed true. All the babies looked just like the parents.

I am not sure how long mystery snails can store sperm, but it's quite awhile.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If any of you are selling any, let me know! No matter how old or young the snails are. Will even buy clutches. Been wanting to get some Blue, Purples and maybe Ivories for a while now, but every source I contact falls through.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi WaterLife, I purchased blues at Trinsfish.com, will be getting ivories from them as well. Their rates on the .com site is less expensive than their ebay store. On the notification list for dark footed purples. Actually looks like a darkfooted magenta snail. Maybe a magenta and black snail will make some dark footed purples?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.