The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When most people breed they use a bare tank with a bit of moss or an egg trap. Why not just use a second planted tank?

My girlfriend has a fluval chi sitting in her closet. I was thinking of setting it up a a mini planted tank and attempting to breed some CPD's. Wouldnt it be easiet to pop in a female or two and a male for a few days then put them back into the main tank. the fry would have their own home to grow up in until they were big enough to go back to the regular tank..

To me this makes sense because you would have a "established area" rather then a empty tank with a sponge filter... any thoughts on this method?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking of moving the parents to the 5g for few days, then back to the main tank. providing they lay eggs the fry will have a permanent home to grow up in until they move back to the bigger tank. to me it seems easier then the clear tank with daily water changes. since it will be a "stable" ish environment. that being said i have never tied to bread fish before!

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
There's nothing wrong with breeding in a planted tank at all. Fish spawn i planted tanks all the time. They really don't care.

People use a bare tank because it's easier to clean after the hatch and some put prophylactic antibiotics in when their fish are spawning. Also it's easier to net out the parent(s) when needed. You can see the fry easier in a bare tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.