The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah, most ghost shrimp die because of how they are handled sold as feeders. I caught some wild which almost anyone in North America can do in creeks and especially silty pools separated from the main creek. The ones I caught faired way better than the ones I've purchased but hey even some sold as feeders will survive. If you want them to breed they will eat just about anything; I would feed them spirinia algae and/or shrimp food and keep them as cool as you can get your tank indoors as they are a temperate species so I could only assume that a lower temperature (65-75degrees) would be better. I did have shrimp breed but the young never survived in a community tank. My tank was a native setup; temp was probably 68-70 degrees.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I only think they are hard to breed because most people have them in tropical setups and they are a temperate specie.... and I seriously doubt there are many people who have ghost shrimp tanks other than for feeders...yuk!:redface: From what I've read the young have no larval state.. and its definitely not a brackish specie... we have tons here in Missouri.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts